Laura Fleming

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Laura Fleming

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 am

SO glad she is home. After 6 days on my back in the hospital recently, I had tears coming down my cheeks when I went out those front doors. Enjoy every sandwich is my new philosophy. Here is hoping Laura has many more meals and laps in her future. Keep the pedal down..:)
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Very happy to hear she is home, that must be huge relief. But no time for coasting, you still have some work to do. I hope to see you both on track very soon. Stay strong!
Gordon Andrade
#10 Super C MX-5

DJC
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by DJC » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 am

So glad to hear that she's back home home. All our prayers are with you guys!

DAVID R
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by DAVID R » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:59 pm

glad to here your back home Laura. hope your feeling better . ive none you for over 20 yrs. you have always been awesome to me. hang in there girl. no sand bagging. hope your laughing. praying for ya!!!!! 8)

miatapeter
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by miatapeter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:23 pm

So happy to see Laura is back home. Truly pulling for you two in my thoughts and prayers. Keep fighting the good fight Laura, and you too Bob.

TXBDan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by TXBDan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:09 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't know Laura personally, but i know she's fing awesome. I've shared many stories of respect and admiration about "Bob and Laura" with my wife after a track weekend. We're pulling for you with all we've got.
Dan Durusky
Mazda RX8

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Bobc » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:10 am

So here is the most current information on Laura,
She was admitted to the Elliot hospital in Manchester on Friday morning when she could not keep anything down for more than 24hrs. She also had pain in her right hip after the radiation treatments that were for pain reduction. They found her calcium level very high her creatinine level and hemoglobin level both very low they have since fixed those issues all may have been the causing some of the nausea.
But they also found she has a broken right femur just outside of the joint, caused by the cancer degrading her bones. We are not sure what the next step will be several teams are discussing the options and we will go from here. It is just unbelievable that she was able to drive the week before she was hospitalized the first time.
We would like to thank all of you for the kind words and thoughts
Bob and Laura

wizzman
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by wizzman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:46 am

We were all thinking about the both of you this past weekend:

IMG_20180813_113733.jpg
IMG_20180813_113733.jpg (121.45 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
I also wanted to share a video I took of Laura back on June 3rd while watching from the scoring tower with my two sons:

-Dave W.

1994 Mazda Miata T50 #56

DanB
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:34 pm

We are thinking of you, Laura. I wish I had video of the time I caught you at Thompson during practice and you got good and sideways in turn 3 and I got past. I was pretty impressed with myself, I caught Laura f'n Fleming legit! Then I found out you were on garbage tires and were still 4 (or whatever) seconds faster for real :p

Sending all the love and good vibes I can.
'17 Subaru BRZ PP, #7 T50
Gone but not forgotten: Datsun 240Z, #7 SPB :cry:

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Bobc » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 am

New Update: Laura made the decision to have the surgery and was transported back to Brigham and Women's Hospital on Tuesday 8/14/18
Last Thursday She underwent a 5 and one half hour surgery. They did a full hybrid hip replacement on the right and a femoral nail implant on the left, this will reinforce the left femur, both implants extend almost to her knee on each side. ( We will have to consult with Derek about how many points she will need to use for these mods.....)
They had her standing by 6 am the next day she still has some pain and is very week her blood levels are not the best. But thru it all she keeps fighting. Last night they informed us she has a right femoral nerve palsy, which has her right leg mostly numb and she unable to lift the leg from the hip. The doctors feel this is temporary. The hope is to get her to a rehab soon as she is able. She wants to drive her car again and throw her leg over the horse knowing her that will happen!!!
We thank every one again for all the well wishes.
Bob

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:40 am

Thanks for the update Bob. We look forward to Laura's return to the track! I'll ask Derek waive the extra points. :idea:
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Bobc » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:05 pm

Laura has a new problem her bone marrow is being effected by the disease, she cannot produce enough red blood cells or platelets. She will require at least weekly transfusions. They are starting her in a low dose chemo to try and help this condition but it could make it worse, only time will tell.
So at this time Laura and I would like to ask anyone who could to donate blood, while it cannot be "set aside" for her at least the donations will help someone, and anything given will help off set what they have to use for her.

Bob

Mario Fallas
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Mario Fallas » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:32 pm

OMG! With WG soon approaching I decided to check the forum for the first time since may and read this with tears in my eyes, I'm speechless and i really don't know what to say, it's people like Laura that makes this world a better place, hang tough Laura and Bob , I'm most definitely praying for you
Mario

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Bobc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:49 pm

So I wanted to give Everyone another update
One of our very good friends has taken it upon herself to set up a red cross blood drive in Laura’s name we are currently looking at September 29 at Hudson New Hampshire VFW club.
The date is still in question with the Red Cross I will let everyone know when the date is firm
Laura’s current condition is she has lost feeling in her feet and is unable to move apparently caused by the fact that the disease has gone after her spinal column. The doctors have nothing more they can do for her. As you would expect she has out up one hell of a fight.
She is currently resting comfortably and that’s about all we can ask for at this time.
Bob

eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by eastcoastbumps » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:06 am

Laura is one tough cookie! Thinking of her and hoping for the best
Pete McParland #617
Honda S2000