Laura Fleming

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
basil2000
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Re: Laura Fleming

Post by basil2000 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Tom, thank you for the update. Bob, let Laura know that we are all praying for her.
Ken channell
2019 zr1 #015

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Bobc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:38 am

Here is the most current info. I have to apologize I have not had time to get to a computer till this morning. She has an Adeno Sarcoma it is in her lung, there is a lesion on her brain that is about the size of a quarter. The very un-usual thing is it has gone to bone in several places sarcomas are soft tissue cancers. This is something they say they have never seen before…
In her typical unselfish manner she has enthusiastically offered up the remaining tissue samples from the Biopsy’s for genetic research. The hospital sent several oncologists up to ask for permission to use the samples, I already knew the answer but they had to get it from her, even intubated, she got the point across loud and clear. So even if it can’t help her it may help someone else.
The prognosis is not great the sarcoma is not curable and the time span is pretty short given the option of a particularly nasty form of chemo and radiation or just using radiation therapy to get the size of the mass down to keep her lung inflated she has chosen the no chemo approach so the end goal now is to get her out of the hospital breathing on her own. If that happens she thru hand signals and head movements has informed me I will be driving her home in Her 69 Chevelle SS396… The plan is to first get her home see how she is doing and if well enough I hope to get her on track.
Currently she has had 3 of 5 radiation treatments after the fifth they will do another MRI and look at the changes if the main tumor has shrunk they will extubate her and see how well she can tolerate that.
She is the toughest person I have ever known, this has not been easy but she still shows her sense of humor thru it all.
We are VERY much appreciative of the thoughts and prayers she still needs them to get out of there.
Bob

wizzman
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by wizzman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi Bob AND Laura!

No one ever likes to get news like this whether it is for yourself, a family member or a friend. Thank you for sharing the updates with us however.
It is always best to lean on those around you in times like this. Love, friendly vibes and a positive attitude can be some of the best medicine. Laura always has all three on full display. We are sending all three right back at the both of you!
-Dave W.

1994 Mazda Miata T50 #56

CalypsoBean
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by CalypsoBean » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Terrible news. Sending you support from up here in Canada.

ED9man
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by ED9man » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:08 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this Bob, Emily and I are thinking of you and Laura. Hoping for the best possible outcome.

savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by savage217 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:57 am

Ughh this is terrible to hear, keep fighting Laura!
Nick DeRosa #305

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Been thinking a lot about you both in this difficult time.
Thank you for sharing and keeping us all in the loop. If there is anything at all you need assistance with please let me know if I can help.

Paul G.
Paul G.

SEISAN
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by SEISAN » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:01 am

I just found out yesterday and let My wife know. Our hearts are so heavy and our eyes are misty with tears. Bob and Laura and I started in COM around the same time. Corvettes were our bond and that is how our friendship started. To me they are the ultimate power couple. They would give you the shirts off their backs and help you in any way they can and many members of our COM club have been on the receiving end of their generosity. I love these these two and feel so helpless now. I will pray for Bob to have strengh through this difficult time and to Laura for her determination in her courageous fight. You have Brass!

XXXOOO
Bob and Tricia Brooks

Rotary-Amuse
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by Rotary-Amuse » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:12 pm

I am so sorry to hear this

I am hoping she finds comfort, am wishing for a speedy recovery for her, and am wishing for you to stay strong and positive to see her through this

Godspeed and best wishes

cfossum
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cfossum » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:34 pm

My heart and thoughts are with you and Laura.
We had a good outcome with an unplanned stay at B&W. Great care, and a cure came out of it where others were (far) less optimistic.
If anyone is capable of a "speedy" recovery, it would be Laura.
-Carl

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Bobc » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 am

Laura and I would like to update our friends at COM after 10 days intubated on a vent and several procedures that could have ended badly. Laura was extubated and removed from the vent yesterday around 4 pm. The hospital felt she had a pretty good chance of maintaining the air way. They have stented the superior vena cava and her right air way, she also has had 5 radiation treatments to the right side mass. As of this morning she is only being supplied a small amount of O2 thru a nasal cannula just as a precaution.

Her end goal is to leave the hospital as soon as possible and try to have a good time for as long as she can. She knows this is not curable and she has chosen the path that she wants to take.

We thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers it seems like they have been answered to at least get her a chance to leave the hospital. She is still in MICU and cannot have visitors nor will they accept flowers. We do not have any firm date on her release yet they still have some things to address

My thoughts on this were the more people that were praying the more likely one of them might work!! I can only hope there is some miracle that happens to allow her to beat this.
I will update as I can, and thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.

Bob and Laura

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:04 am

Thank you for posting these updates Bob. Laura's strength and resiliency have always been inspiring, even more so now. I hope you and Laura find what you need, and that you both know you are loved and missed in our paddock.

I understand visitors and flowers are not allowed. Can I send over a cake with a file baked inside? Tell that SBB to escape ASAP. Her friends are waiting for her in the paddock, by the big rigs. If you need a get-away driver, I'm in.

- Will
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

imgon
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by imgon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Our thoughts and prayers are with you both. If anyone can beat cancer's butt it will be Laura. Hang tough and know that there are many people in your extended family sending lots of love.
Chuck

'87 Mazda RX7
T-50

sawyerhillbilly
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by sawyerhillbilly » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Bob and Laura,

Thanks for the updates. Here's hoping Laura makes the break out ASAP, and gets to spend quality time with both family and her friends at COM. I look forward to seeing you both at the track some time soon. In the mean time I am sending all positive mojo I have your way.
All the best,
Bill
Bill Chabot
Acura RSX #560

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Bobc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Tonight's update is a bit better... Laura has escaped after a bit of debate with the MICU attending physician. They felt she had improved enough to go into a regular room we told them that would not happen that she in fact would then be leaving. they eventually saw our point of view......
So she is home and doing pretty well surrounded by family and friends. The visiting nurses have been in her levels are good and she is slowly regaining her strength after spending 14 days on her back.

She has read all of your responses and many of the texts she was very thankful and very moved by them.

We would again like to to thank all of or friends at COM for there well wishes, and please keep them coming as the next few laps are not going to get any easier

Bob and Laura