aftermarket battery tie down method

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: aftermarket battery tie down method

Post by savage217 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Thanks Nate. I think I have come up with an acceptable mount.
Nick DeRosa #305

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dinoracer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:16 pm

In my humble opinion, as a frequent Tech inspector, I would have a hard time with a fiber strap, and a bungie cord gets a "no way". I've seen plenty of ways to solve the problem with metal or non-metallic rigid materials that can be easily adapted to most situations.
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:13 am

Please explain your reasoning for not allowing a fiber webbed strap. Pound for pound,they are stronger than metal.They would not chafe a battery,and are acid resistant.Anchored properly,they offer a very secure restraint and are also nonconductive. Almost every motorcycle on the road uses some form of non metallic strap and many autos from the factory as well. I can't think of one valid reason not to allow webbed straps to secure a battery.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 6PAK72 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:13 am

Dave, that looks really good! Great solution.
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed

savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by savage217 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:44 am

I would absolutely agree that bungee cords are a no no but a ratcheting strap seems very durable to me. I am referring to the smaller version of ratcheting straps that many people use to strap their cars down on their car trailers. I may just use 2 inch steel around the top of the battery and bolt it down but I still do not know for sure. I think tonight I will have a solution and will post pictures when I am finished.
Nick DeRosa #305

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:27 pm

What about using larger zip tie(s) to go from a top bracket (across the battery) to the bottom of a battery tray?
Sort of instead of a metal hook and wing nut like on the older cars?
Paul G.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Hmm..I'd have to say no to zip ties.They really are not designed to take any kind of shock load like a battery will exert. (I know the giant ones are quite strong..but better suited for other uses)

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:48 pm

I would also have a hard time with "fiber straps". Fibers fray and stretch. Metal or composite, not so much. The other issue with ratchet straps is the ratchet - they fail. The service life of a ratchet strap isn't very long, in my experience. I usually toss 'em every couple of years due to frayed straps or broken ratchets. Could it work? Yes, but it depends on the strap and the implementation.

Same with zip ties. Could they work? Yes, but it again depends on the strap and the implementation. I'd actually prefer a zip tie solution over a fiber strap solution.

The typical car battery install is quite different than a typical motorcycle battery install. Most motorcycles have a battery box - if the battery gets loose, there isn't very far the battery can go. Cars, not so much.

I would look to make a pocket for the battery, then worry about how to fasten it down. For example, some aluminum L-bracket could be used to create a pocket for the battery to fit snugly. Once in the pocket, the battery shouldn't have much room to move. From there, figure out how to tie-down the battery to the bracket. Should the bracket fail, the battery should still be retained by the pocket.

This is exactly how my light weight battery was installed. It is difficult to remove the battery from the pocket. The zip ties I have holding the battery to the pocket make it impossible to remove.

As some mentioned already, insulate/isolate the positive terminal. Self-sealing silicon tape is great for this. The trade name is "Rescue Tape", but that is just a name brand. The tape only sticks to itself and does not have any adhesive, and as such, does not leave residue. The tape is also an excellent electrical insulator.

We've had a few situations at COM events where battery tie-downs came loose and made contact with the positive battery terminal. Several things happened. First, the car kept running, though the electronics became a bit screwy. Second, the battery terminal eroded away drastically, as did the tie down. The two kept trying to weld to each other each time they made contact.

From the Rescue Tape website...

http://www.rescuetape.com/

Rescue Tape . . .

• Creates a Permanent Air-Tight, Water-Tight Seal in seconds!
• Never gets gummy or sticky like electrical or duct tape - No messy cleanup!
• Has an unbelievably long shelf life!
• Is extremely versatile!
• Resists Fuels, Oils, Acids, Solvents, Salt Water, Road Salt, UV Rays

Rescue Tape has infinite uses!
Here are just a few suggestions:

• Keep it on board vehicles & equipment for emergency hose repair!
• Seal leaky hoses, pipes, tubing, lines, & fittings
• Neaten up lines and extension cords in stowage
• Wrap tools and handles for a GREAT non-slip grip
• Wrap wiring harnesses and custom split-looming
• Waterproof electrical connections and terminals
• Use it as an emergency fan belt!
• Make emergency O-Rings
• Wrap hydraulic fittings and other exposed metal connections to help prevent corrosion
• Works even over wet, dirty, or oily surfaces!
• Use it as a tourniquet or emergency wrap over bleeding injuries
• Wrap it around ANYTHING that you want secure, and it will never leave any sticky residue!

96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:45 pm

If straps are allowed to fray..sure..they will not hold properly. The material that fiber webbed straps are made of makes a HUGE difference in their service life. I have some Ancra brand tie down straps that are over 35 years old and still hold loads as good as the day I bought them,and they have seen a lot of use.
On the other hand,I have purchased chinese made tie downs that won't hold much brand new! So,all straps are not created equal.
They also make fire proof fiber webbed strapping (look at any SA helmet chin strap) that work very well to secure things,if anchored properly.
A battery box or tray that supports the base/body of the battery is more important than what actually holds the battery down. :wink:

Stock 2000-2004 Ford Focus battery hold down:

Stock Ariel Atom battery hold down:

Rescue tape.Hmm... gonna have to add a roll to the toolbox! :wink:

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dinoracer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:09 pm

I said "hard time", not no way. Condition and installation details would be important of course.
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by savage217 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:08 am

Guys take a look at my method. This battery will not move at all! This feels more secure than my stock battery tie down. It fits perfectly under the lip of this metal rail. I don't know the exact name but it is a structural point that I am tieing down to. Take a look at the video to get an idea. I was wiggling it pretty hard and it would not move. This is also a brand new strap I bought from Lowes tonight.

video
http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g168/ ... 8-2212.mp4
Nick DeRosa #305

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:19 am

I would place a short section of 5/16 or 3/8" rubber fuel line,cut lengthwise, over the leading edge of that steel support,where the strap wraps around it,just to make sure it does not cut/chafe the strap and call it good! :D :sunny:

savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by savage217 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:28 am

The lip is not sharp at all nor is it thin. I can still do that though, not a bad suggestion.
Nick DeRosa #305

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:50 am

Just going by the way it looks in the pics... :wink:

zip4zat
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by zip4zat » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:41 am

savage217 wrote:Guys take a look at my method. This battery will not move at all! This feels more secure than my stock battery tie down. It fits perfectly under the lip of this metal rail. I don't know the exact name but it is a structural point that I am tieing down to. Take a look at the video to get an idea. I was wiggling it pretty hard and it would not move. This is also a brand new strap I bought from Lowes tonight.

video
http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g168/ ... 8-2212.mp4
This strap WILL break in an impact. The tensile strength of these kinds of webbing is not that strong, a couple hundred pounds at best. I'll tell you I wouldn't trust my body weight on it if I were hanging over a bottomless hole.

I don't agree with using any kinds of webbing or straps for battery tie downs. The strength of these vary over time and degredation is not visible. This is why you must replace seatbelts every so number of years.

In a pinch, sure, it'll work, but why take that chance if you have time to rig something that you dont have to think about later. There are a lot of reasons you dont want a run away battery!
Joe Lu
#24 ST1 STi