Tow vehicle chat time

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Tow vehicle chat time

Post by ctkag » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:18 pm

I guess it all depends on whether the truck is going to be dual use or just for hauling the trailer & occaisional use. I have a 2002 F250 4wd diesel which I really only use to pull the trailer or when I need a bigger truck than the Ranger. Otherwise it's been parked while diesel has been so expensive. I personally wouldn't want to pull a big trailer with a stick, the F250 is an auto; whereas I special ordered the Ranger to get the 4.0 with a 5-speed.
-Keith-

SPB116

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:26 pm

Why not tow with a stick? It's as simple as driving a car with a manual.Most of the time you are in high gear cruising on the highway;no different than an automatic,except the stick is getting better mileage,instead of heating up tranny fluid.
Many of todays automatics,in order to get better fuel mileage, incorporate a lock-up torque converter,which is nothing more than an automatically engaged direct drive clutch.
Imagine that. :wink:
Stop and go traffic? Big deal,unless your left knee/leg/foot gives you problems.
I really don't understand the need for an automatic,unless you are plowing snow, pushing dirt,or mowing.
Todays truck manual transmissions are a joy to shift and clutch effort is minimal.

Not to mention it's a great theft deterrent, as potential theives look in and see three pedals,a shifter,and run away! :shock:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by eastcoastbumps » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:09 am

Forget the diesel.

ctier240
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by ctier240 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:15 am

When I bought my new truck I debated for a long time about gas or diesel. Then a good friend of mine that most of you know (Dan Malek) who has traveled with me back and forth to tracks for years now said, that I wouldn't be happy unless I had the torque of the diesel. He has had v10's for the last 9 years. So I bit the bullet $7K extra cost and $5 diesel at the time. Now I can get diesel for under $3 and I am happy I did. You just can't beat cruising effortlessly up the hills with no down shifting, in my opinion. As a note my rigs weighs 20k+ with camper and car trailer ready to go. So yes it might cost more but that happy feeling of power in reserve is great. I also plan on keeping this truck for a long time. I would not have sold either of my other ones if they were crew cabs. I funny what we do for kids :D
I also went with the auto because as was mentioned before the wife can drive it with out freaking out :shock:
and we do use the camper for trips other then the track.
just another $0.02

dinggos8mybaby
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by dinggos8mybaby » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:29 pm

Keep in mind if you shop dodge vs ford and chevy that the dodge "quad cab" is the same thing as a super cab (ford) and extended cab (chevy), even though it has four doors. The dodge crew cab is called a mega cab and when you sit in the back seat you will notice the difference.

Good luck finding a stick, there are not a whole lot of them out there (I work at a dealership) most everything comes from the factory with an auto these days (you get a little higher towing capacity with an auto).
Jared LeBlanc

eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by eastcoastbumps » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:05 am

I'd go diesel if it was only going to be used for towing (not your daily driver) or if you towed several times a year. Otherwise, a gas 1500 or F150 will be fine. I tow with a gas Chevy 2500 van, and its fantastic. I have to floor it every once in a while, but it never really struggles. A Denali pickup or a Z71 Tahoe/Suburban would be at the top of my list if I was in the market for a daily driver that could tow.
Pete McParland #617
Honda S2000

jakesrodshop
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by jakesrodshop » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:13 pm

mark easy on the fords lol
i got a 2005 ford 6.0l and have only had egr valve and one turbo issue, all fixed for free in 1 day
before this i had a 2000 7.3 super duty 6 speed manual 4x4 and it was great, however my crew cab f350 dually does great, 15.5 mpg normal, 11 mpg hauling 15k 44 ft enclosed trailer and 2 cars, actually for that matter whether the trailer is loaded or unloaded its the same
69 camaro, dry sump ls6,t-56, 4.10 detroit tru trac lsd rear, c6 front chassis, tq arm rear chassis, 275 front/335 rear tires, atl fuel cell

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:04 pm

If a 1/2 ton gasser would do, there are good deals.

My wife's niece bought a new Dodge 1/2 ton at Allen Motors in Derry NH about a month ago. It has 4wd, crew cab, nicely equipped, and she payed about 19 grand for it. The dealer even knocked off another $500 because she did not liked the white color.

Jonathan

MMiskoe
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by MMiskoe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:31 pm

I've driven both manual & automatic diesels and found that the Allison automatic is quite nice.

My dad & I have very similar trucks - 3/4 ton, long bed, 4x4, 4 door, diesel. His is a Dodge Cummins w/ the 6spd manual, mine the GM Duramax w/ Allison 6 speed.

His truck is not hard to drive, but mine is easier. I had an older 6.5l GM diesel w/ a 5 speed. It was a lumbering giant, we used to refer to as Babe - the big blue ox. Nothing stopped it, but don't be in a hurry getting up through the gears. Dad's Dodge is great, pulls like a locomotive, but when you're not on the highway you are well aware of the short power band and long shifter thows.

For what its worth, the current truck w/ automatic is the only vehicle I've ever wanted to buy w/ an automatic.

chrizz28
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by chrizz28 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:39 am

I am quite happy with my 07 5.3L Sierra Crew 4spd Auto. Its not a diesel, but it does tow my Camaro (3400lbs) on trailer (1900 lbs) with all my gear (1000 lbs) in the bed quite well. The advantage of having a new 1/2 ton truck (decent ride, 20 mpg highway, quiet) for an all around vehicle and tow rig are pretty good. My truck has no issues towing my combo up steep grades (ala up to WGI) yet still can be used to transport people without rattling their fillings out, or having them smell like an oil furnace when they arrive. The book says it can tow 7700 lbs, and I would believe it. Oh, and it gets 13-14 mpg while doing it. I would hope the new 6 speeds do even better with a trailer. The old tow rig I can say I didnt like (97 suburban) as it just barely got by as a tow rig... this truck rocks.
2000 Camaro Z/28 #728

eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by eastcoastbumps » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:32 pm

chrizz28 wrote:I am quite happy with my 07 5.3L Sierra Crew 4spd Auto. Its not a diesel, but it does tow my Camaro (3400lbs) on trailer (1900 lbs) with all my gear (1000 lbs) in the bed quite well. The advantage of having a new 1/2 ton truck (decent ride, 20 mpg highway, quiet) for an all around vehicle and tow rig are pretty good. My truck has no issues towing my combo up steep grades (ala up to WGI) yet still can be used to transport people without rattling their fillings out, or having them smell like an oil furnace when they arrive. The book says it can tow 7700 lbs, and I would believe it. Oh, and it gets 13-14 mpg while doing it. I would hope the new 6 speeds do even better with a trailer. The old tow rig I can say I didnt like (97 suburban) as it just barely got by as a tow rig... this truck rocks.
Paddy and I tow with our fathers 97 Chevy 2500 van. It certainly doesn't 'just barely get by.' Paddy towed home another Subaru with a friends '01 Suburban (5.3 4spd auto) and said it was good, but he'd prefer the van. Maybe the big difference is the 2500 vs 1500, or 97 vs 07, rather than the Suburban vs pickup vs van.
Pete McParland #617
Honda S2000

chrizz28
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by chrizz28 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:29 am

eastcoastbumps wrote: Paddy and I tow with our fathers 97 Chevy 2500 van. It certainly doesn't 'just barely get by.' Paddy towed home another Subaru with a friends '01 Suburban (5.3 4spd auto) and said it was good, but he'd prefer the van. Maybe the big difference is the 2500 vs 1500, or 97 vs 07, rather than the Suburban vs pickup vs van.
Must be a bit of both... I had to swap out pads and rotors every 10k miles, and it just didnt have the power to pull up the hill... it had the 3.42s and just sounded so unhappy revving, albeit being forced to do it constantly. Traveling to NHIS from albany NY is a nightmare with the hills and whatnot. The new truck has taller tires but 3.73s and seems to be happy should it need an occasional downshift. Both of my trucks are half ton, but they couldnt be more dissimilar in towing ability. It should be noted the 2300lb boat trailer was no issue with the 'burb, but 6k was asking much of it. Putting 2300 lbs behind my current truck you dont even know it is there... which isnt always a good thing when the trailer gets a mind of its own.
2000 Camaro Z/28 #728