Head and Neck part deux

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
modifiede30
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by modifiede30 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:28 am

Mick wrote:Interesting concept, but I'm not a fan of that system.
No Isaac® user has ever been trapped in their car by their head and neck restraint.
That doesn't mean it's not possible, it just means it hasn't happened.
There could be a lot of reasons why they could claim this.
- How many people are using their system?
- Of that small sample set, how many have had serious crashes?
- Of that subset how many were in a 'trap' scenario where they had to exit the car very quickly?
If I had to guess I'd bet that number is 0.

Their video comparison is interesting as well. To me it looks like HANS fails because the shoulder straps are too loose.
I agree. They have a few user comments about using the system in crashes and if they're true, it would appear to be a pretty good system. Again though, it all seems a bit biased when your only source of info is the company's website. Seems like they all seem to have a few ups and downs in terms of utility.

In terms of how the Isaac is released, there are 2 pins in each side of the helmet that can be pulled out which entirely disconnects the helmet from the restraint system. Given how other harnesses attach, it does seem pretty reasonable that you can get these off pretty easily.

One concern I have about these is that the helmet anchor is glued in place rather than bolted. That seems a bit scary to me.