Lime Rock Park. 11/16-17/2007

Any and all discussions concerning events.
tju-vette
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Lime Rock Park. 11/16-17/2007

Post by tju-vette » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:54 am

deimos wrote:1) Track opens at 7 AM Friday and Saturday.
2) Track closes at 6:30 PM Friday and Saturday.
If we're only doing Day 2 and we get there prior to 6:30 is it OK to head in and drop off equipment for Saturday?
Tom, 93 Corvette Coupe, 166 STGT
Owner, Banski MotorSports LLC

check us out online at http://www.banskimotorsports.com
email me at tom@banskimotorsports.com

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:40 am

Yes

Subw00er
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Subw00er » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:56 am

tju-vette wrote: The track seemed to warm up nicely as well. Weather was nice (for early Nov anyway).
Any words of advice for someone that has never run LRP, or a cold-weather (sub 50deg) event? I assume the tires take longer to heat up.. if at all?! I've also heard to keep the wheels straight over the hill!

rajito
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by rajito » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:10 am

Subw00er wrote:
tju-vette wrote: The track seemed to warm up nicely as well. Weather was nice (for early Nov anyway).
Any words of advice for someone that has never run LRP, or a cold-weather (sub 50deg) event? I assume the tires take longer to heat up.. if at all?! I've also heard to keep the wheels straight over the hill!
Go fast, take chances.

Raj

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 am

Subw00er wrote:Any words of advice for someone that has never run LRP, or a cold-weather (sub 50deg) event? I assume the tires take longer to heat up.. if at all?! I've also heard to keep the wheels straight over the hill!
Get an instructor for the first run group or two. As you have never run a cold event, and i assume you do not have super sticky tires specifically geared for cold weather, take your time to understand the grip levels at various parts of the track. Set your suspension to be a bit softer/more forgiving to be on the safe side plus LRP is a bumpy motherf----.

Add to that, you have mixes of tarmac in many places and then large concrete patches, so grip levels at various sections combined with the bumps and transitions make for an interesting (and exciting depending on your outlook) set of circumstances.

Be safe, get an instructor. LRP is not a 'hard' track per se, but it does have some mean teeth that can bite back.

-------------------

RAJ, can i drive your car at LRP and drive fast and take chances? Please :) i can show up Saturday only as need get back home for flight to Hawaii for Sunday.
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:11 am

Subw00er wrote:
As you crest the uphill (after no name straight- which isn't very straight) you must have your wheel straight. You benefit from the front tires gaining lots of grip as the car plows into the hill- so it makes sense to use that grip to turn the car. Conversely, the car lightens up considerably as you crest the hill- a little like cresting the hill at the tree house at NHIS- but more dangerous.
The other "scary" places are west bend and the downhill- but only if you are off line. Nail your apexes and you will find the track to be a fast NHIS and very rewarding. You get to make lots of laps in a session and learn the track very quickly
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

tju-vette
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by tju-vette » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:58 am

Subw00er wrote:Any words of advice for someone that has never run LRP, or a cold-weather (sub 50deg) event? I assume the tires take longer to heat up.. if at all?! I've also heard to keep the wheels straight over the hill!
What Steven & Scott said. I took an instructor during my first session and solo'd my other 3. I got pretty comfortable pretty quickly as it is a track that's easy to get familiar with quickly. I do agree that there are some spots that can be tricky but keep your brain turned on during the first couple sessions and take an instructor and all will be well.

My favorite part was from the late apex of Big Bend through the left hander to the apex of the esses going onto no-name. Don't know why but I like the feel of the the back-n-forth with the acceleration onto no-name.

Not the most memorable track, but a fun drive.
Tom, 93 Corvette Coupe, 166 STGT
Owner, Banski MotorSports LLC

check us out online at http://www.banskimotorsports.com
email me at tom@banskimotorsports.com

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:04 am

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:53 pm

Everything that Scott, Tom, and Steven said is true, or at least I find it to be correct.

The single most important thing you can do at Lime Rock is look ahead. While true at all tracks, looking ahead at Lime Rock can help to keep you out of trouble. Lap times are fast - about a minute - and most of the key turns are fast-in, fast-out. As you are bombing down the down-hill at 90+MPH, give quick glances to the brake/"lift" point, apex, and trackout, but keep your eyes up and spend most of your time looking down track - way down. Same with the up-hill, same with west-bend, same for the right-hander onto No-Name, etc.

That said, approach the track slowly. Give it some respect. Find a line that works for you, and add speed as you feel comfortable. Lime Rock is pretty. Lots of trees, stone walls, etc., but not a lot of run-off. COM has been to LRP many times, and our instructors many more. The instructors are a great resource, get in your car or go for a ride-along early, if you can. Understand that he or she may be quite busy, so ask around to others as well.

Don't forget your thermal undies. ;)
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:22 pm

Subw00er wrote:
In addition to wheels straight, don't hold the gas to the floor when cresting the uphill if you are going fast enough to have wheelspin because you are airborne. I went full throttle a couple of years ago and the car shot to the left, crashing into Armco when the right rear wheel touched ground first.

Also, as always at Lime Rock, in the downhill, turn in late and late apex because there is good camber at the turn-in and bad camber at track-out.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:43 pm

quote]
Also, as always at Lime Rock, in the downhill, turn in late and late apex because there is good camber at the turn-in and bad camber at track-out.[/quote]

Yeah, and make sure you DON'T lift whiel approaching the apex after you are committed. Mark B. can attest that in his white BMW as the side panels don't look straight anymore :shock: .

kfoote
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by kfoote » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Kevin Foote
#64 SB Nissan 350Z
1998-2003 Chief of Tech
1998-2002 BOD member
SSB Track Record Holder at LRP

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:08 pm

subw00fer,

Some videos. First up is in the Ferrari. Frankly, i was really bored by this run session and was using Mich Pilot Sport PS2, so braked way too early for T1... and DO NOT let off the gas like i did on the downhill as had plenty of grip yet did not know what the guy in front of me was going to do and did not want to rear end him (even though he was in a much faster car but going much slower).

http://www.enjoythetrack.com/video/ferr ... 072106.wmv

Not a fast lap, but an ok one in the FC. Faster lap time, more grip, etc. versus the Ferrari. Took the uphill carefully as was passing a guy and not on my usual line so caution was best.

http://www.enjoythetrack.com/video/lrp0 ... 092407.wmv

Am sure the guys here will tear me a new one and comment how bad these laps are, but at least you get some visual idea.

Speaking of bad laps... and now a video during qualification session 1 of the NARRC SCCA finals where i was trying a new tire configuration, aero changes, etc... and it went a bit badly.

http://www.enjoythetrack.com/video/lrp0907/snap.wmv
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

skid vicious
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by skid vicious » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:01 pm

Yeah, and make sure you DON'T lift whiel approaching the apex after you are committed. Mark B. can attest that in his white BMW as the side panels don't look straight anymore Shocked
:oops: In my defense I'm not the first person to end up in that wall. I think I was the third person in that event alone.

Experience tells me you don't want to get way off line in that corner. A lot of marbles tend to build up there.
Mark

Subw00er
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Subw00er » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks for all the great replies.

Steven, what broke?