classify me?

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

BlackBora

classify me?

Post by BlackBora » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:52 am

ohk i sold the jetta and bought a 99 m3. i was wondering what i would be classified under..i have a performance clutch and intake...nothing to special.

HerbD

Re: classify me?

Post by HerbD » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:13 pm

BlackBora wrote:ohk i sold the jetta and bought a 99 m3. i was wondering what i would be classified under..i have a performance clutch and intake...nothing to special.
Unfortunately, the clutch puts you in Street Prepared. SPB to be precise.

Without that, assuming "intake" means cold-air-intake and no mods
to air metering, throttle body, or manifold, you would have been in
Street Touring (ST1).

If the car doesn't have a rollbar/cage, and you are not planning to
run time trials, then you could probably run the car on school days
as ST1 until all your safety items are in place and you are legal to
compete in SP. Or you could roll back to a stock clutch to stay in
ST.
-Herb DaSilva
2004 SRT-4, Blue #62, ST2

eclip5e
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: classify me?

Post by eclip5e » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:36 pm

BlackBora wrote:...performance clutch and intake...
pwnz3d.
SPB my friend. You'd better suit up in your firesuit in front of your shiny new rollbar.
Ron. A
R̶A̶S̶p̶e̶c̶ ̶I̶m̶p̶r̶e̶z̶a̶ ̶W̶R̶X̶ ̶-̶ ̶#̶8̶6̶ 2004-2010
2017 Subaru BRZ Limited, 112T50

grovefromnh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

classify me

Post by grovefromnh » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:31 am

No way a clutch replacement puts you into SPB!! It is a normal replacement part just like brake pads. There is no performance upgrade. We allow upgrades to brake pads, shocks and tires in the Stock classes. Since we use rolling starts for the TT, clutch upgrades do nothing for enhanced times. If Flywheel was replaced with a lightened or aluminum unit that would be different.
30+ yr member

Tsurara
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: classify me

Post by Tsurara » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:25 am

grovefromnh wrote:No way a clutch replacement puts you into SPB!! It is a normal replacement part just like brake pads. There is no performance upgrade. We allow upgrades to brake pads, shocks and tires in the Stock classes. Since we use rolling starts for the TT, clutch upgrades do nothing for enhanced times. If Flywheel was replaced with a lightened or aluminum unit that would be different.
I think it depends on the make and model of the car, but many of the aftermarket clutches, such as the twin plates come with a lightened flywheel as part of the package, which is why there is an issue I think.
Charles K.
#13 NER SCCA T2 Mitsubishi Evo 9

BlackBora

Post by BlackBora » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:45 am

so then...i should only sign up for the first day class, until i get my stock clutch back? I am trying to sign up for nhis in april and i dont want a stupid clutch hold me back from racing. now this is a drag clutch so i dont know if thats any difference....i will try to put stock back in soon...so should i put me class as st1?

HerbD

Post by HerbD » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:23 am

BlackBora wrote:so then...i should only sign up for the first day class, until i get my stock clutch back? I am trying to sign up for nhis in april and i dont want a stupid clutch hold me back from racing. now this is a drag clutch so i dont know if thats any difference....i will try to put stock back in soon...so should i put me class as st1?
Yes, if you're just registering for the School day, I'd say go ahead
and register as ST1. No one's going to protest you on a school day.
:D
-Herb DaSilva

Evergreen Dan
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Evergreen Dan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:43 pm

I too an new, having missed a couple of years when a supercharger kept me out. No supercharger, so now my S52 M Coupe will be in ST1 (I can't find any of my mods that aren't allowed in ST).

I am about to swap my diff. The rules say for ST:

Updating and backdating of differentials is allowed within the same manufacturer. Any aftermarket limited-slip
differential may be used provided ratios are among those available on OEM differentials.

The stock diff for my car is a 3.23 LSD and it comes with a finned cover. I want to swap a 3.73 from an E30, swapping the cover and output flanges. Am I correct that this is allowed in ST?

Also, to the OP, couldn't you remove the intake (which is probably easy and probably doesn't give you much) and run in SSGT?

BlackBora

Post by BlackBora » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:15 am

well it looks like i wont be driving this year again....i am not going to swap out my clutch. i think the clutch being swapped should not really affect the class but oh well...mabey i will get into autox instead.

grovefromnh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

new clutch

Post by grovefromnh » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:40 am

If you just installed a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate only it doesn't change your class. IF you also put in a lightened flywheel it does change your class.
30+ yr member

HerbD

Post by HerbD » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:52 am

Evergreen Dan wrote:I too an new, having missed a couple of years when a supercharger kept me out. No supercharger, so now my S52 M Coupe will be in ST1 (I can't find any of my mods that aren't allowed in ST).

Updating and backdating of differentials is allowed within the same manufacturer. Any aftermarket limited-slip
differential may be used provided ratios are among those available on OEM differentials.

The stock diff for my car is a 3.23 LSD and it comes with a finned cover. I want to swap a 3.73 from an E30, swapping the cover and output flanges. Am I correct that this is allowed in ST?

That should be fine. I assume this is all bolt-in.

Evergreen Dan wrote: Also, to the OP, couldn't you remove the intake (which is probably easy and probably doesn't give you much) and run in SSGT?
No one de-mods. :D :D
-Herb DaSilva

Evergreen Dan
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Evergreen Dan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:43 pm

Thanks Herb. Yes it all just bolts up. Thanks for the reply to what may have seemed to be a dumb question. I've misread the rules before (with good intentions), so I appreciate the clarification.

mossaidis
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by mossaidis » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:56 pm

HerbD wrote:
Evergreen Dan wrote:I too an new, having missed a couple of years when a supercharger kept me out. No supercharger, so now my S52 M Coupe will be in ST1 (I can't find any of my mods that aren't allowed in ST).

That should be fine. I assume this is all bolt-in.
Sounds like the final drive ratio changes though... true?

BlackBora

Post by BlackBora » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:49 pm

now i could lie qand say no the flywheel is not lightened but it is....so no go for me once again this year.