NHIS Configuration

Any and all discussions concerning events.
TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:19 pm

Not that I expect my opinions to hold much weight if any...but..

As a newer Com driver, I would pay the money to get two solid days of 4 to 5 sessions a day at NHIS. That is much more alluring to me than to only get two sessions and three laps on the second day.

NHIS was so crowded in April that I only clocked 70 track miles on the practice day. 70 miles for 175 bucks is still a better deal than autox, but when you consider how much seat time is had at the other tracks, it becomes less than optimal.

In short...I would commit to registering for a student/licensed DE only two day event with no TT. That would be an excellent deal for the money and the proximity of NHIS to Boston.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

Seven

Post by Seven » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:43 pm

The issue of format merits its own significant debate, and one I wasn't addressing in my previous posts.

However ... while the current COM format for day 1 is shared by most traditional venues (BMW, PCA, SCDA, etc.) the jury is out as to whether it's the "best". A number of groups run some variant of "open track" formats. These formats provide many benefits including the opportunity for gobs of track time. Trackmasters runs an open track format, as well as Chin Motorsports (see link: http://www.chinmotorsports.com/faq/events/events.asp)

I'm not sure of the universe of arguments against such a setup, just pointing-out that there are options.

Alex, I'm not sure I've given things enough thought to delineate a set of specific questions. I think at this stage open discourse will certainly lead to greater insight than answering a list of questions I may drum-up at the moment.

Seven

Post by Seven » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:25 pm

FWIW, the current 5 run group format results in ~80 minutes of track time per car. This excludes consideration of actual "effective" track time (i.e., warm-up, warm-down, etc).

As an example, if the club were to drop to 3 run groups: Experienced; Student A; Student B. The run groups could result in Experienced drivers having the potential of 240!!!! Minutes of track time while the Students would receive 90 minutes.

Now obviously you can't combine 3 run groups (0,1,2) and assume all on the track at the same time. Rather, this sort of open format allows for a more leisurely approach toward "getting your laps in".

rajito
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by rajito » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:35 pm

At the past NHIS events this year, groups 0, 1, and 2 added up to 100 participants on average. Assume that everyone's driving a Miata (14 feet long) and going at the exact same speed on the 1.6 mile course (8448 feet).

The length of the cars nose to tail is 1400 feet, so you're left with 7008 feet of track. Since there are 100 cars, it means you have about 7 feet between each car.

Seriously though, having a generic "experienced" group would definitely not work at NHIS. As it is, a slowpoke like me gets caught up in trains in run group 1.

Raj
#66 SuperSlowGT
Silver 2004 Nissan 350Z

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:47 pm

Ok, as a newbie, I can say that, as rough as NHIS is, running the same config at least lets me see progress as my lap times drop. I love Tremblant, and Mosport, but running there once a year (if time/work permits) doesn't set a standard to judge my progress.
When I run NHIS this week I will have added some brakes and tires to my car and can "see" what my gains are. 8)

Interesting note: I was surprised to see that many, many drivers were slower running North oval than chicane/chicane. I enjoyed that config, flat out on the yellow line passing 'vettes and keeping pace with the Subies in my slobomatic SER with street tires. Thank you Jack, as you always say, it's all in the line! :shock:

Anyway, I am hooked, I'll run whatever they say to run. :D

Sam

timmmy
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by timmmy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:50 pm

I say 4 NHIS events, 3 Tremblant, 3 Mosport and keep the rest as they ar eunless we can do the 3 day a Summit again :), lets do 3 of those too :)

the more the merrier for me. and if the clu could truck my car out west mid winter I would love to fly out to a coule of Seca events :)

H

Seven

Post by Seven » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:47 am

Raj, I agree that condensing the run groups @ NHIS wouldn't work. This could only be feasible at the larger tracks...Tremblant, Mosport, Glen, Summit big course...

Bottom line is that the Board is actively evaluating ways to move back to "profitability", I think it important for the Club to look outward and see what other groups are doing to attract paying customers.

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:51 am

At some of the away events on the larger tracks we do run a more open format when it is safe to do that. is 8 hours of open track open enough for you?
But that would never work at NHIS, too many cars and not enough track. The traffic gets tough as it is at NHIS. COM does a pretty good job at getting everyone maximun track time for their dollar.

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by ctkag » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:54 am

Yeah, unfortunately, NHIS doesn't lend itself well to large run groups. There have been instances of 15 car Miata trains that are pretty much impossible to get by (unless we're running the ovals where the passing zone includes the oval - another reason to be missing them!) Clearly, on the larger tracks, combined run groups work well. In part, that's due to fewer cars attending the event. Not every event can have two run groups - one in the morning and one in the afternoon! :lol:

I think turning one or two of the NHIS events into two-day driving schools makes sense. That way those who are not interested can skip them.
-Keith-

SPB116

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

4 NHIS events next year

Post by brucesallen » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:12 am

Those that attended last night's club meeting were informed that we have been given four 2 day events next year at NHIS.

The Club's lowered cash position is partly a result of a decision to lower our excess cash position of two years ago. We did not raise rates as other clubs did. Now we have also dropped the free prime rib dinners at events.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

rajito
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: 4 NHIS events next year

Post by rajito » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:34 am

brucesallen wrote:Those that attended last night's club meeting were informed that we have been given four 2 day events next year at NHIS.
Any confirmation on a Calabogie event? I cannot wait to go out there again.

If we're running 4 events at NHIS, can we have that jump that I asked for earlier?

Raj
#66 SuperSlowGT
Silver 2004 Nissan 350Z

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:57 am

If we run the South oval , you have a passing zone from the begging of the front straight all the way to turn 3, This will eliminate the long trains :)

If you want the South Oval CALL BETTY AT NHIS and REquest it :P Her number is 603-783-4744 . Do it today !

A few years ago , the first event I ever went to was a 3 day at NHIS , 2 school days followed by a TT day, It was in Oct. on a Fri-Sun --This might work for those who want more track time.

I am glad to see Com back to 4 NHIS event, now if we can just add Watkins Glen back 8)
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:16 pm

DanDarcy wrote:If you want the South Oval CALL BETTY AT NHIS and REquest it :P Her number is 603-783-4744 . Do it today!
I would respectfully suggest that members do not call Betty directly. Last thing we need is to irritate NHIS. We have dedicated personnel to do this already. :wink: :D

If you have a request, question, comment, or complaint, I encourage you to contact the appropriate club officials. Contact info can be found here.

That said, the club has been trying to negotiate running the south oval configuration for some time now. Come to a meeting and you'll see that we ALL would like to run that config too!!
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

xstar
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by xstar » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:31 pm

WillM wrote:I would respectfully suggest that members do not call Betty directly. Last thing we need is to irritate NHIS. We have dedicated personnel to do this already. :wink: :D
I must stress what Will just said.

If you must speak with Bette at NHIS, please thank her for having COM at NHIS year after year and please comment on the wonderful facility that is NHIS.

thanks,

Alex Teng
COM President
#423 ST3 1996 Sumazdaru Miata STi

deimos
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by deimos » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:03 pm

Before we all rail against NHIS and this thread gets any more ridiculous, remember the big picture. One year without a south oval isn't going to kill you. The tenous, but improving, relationship between COM and NHIS management isn't going to be helped by a call-in campaign or repeated posts that boil down to "NHIS sucks".

As the person who spends the most time with track management at each track, suffice it to say I'm working on it. I don't want 4 events of chicane-chicane any more than you do. I'm not making any guarantees for track configurations in 2007.

If someone wishes to constructively find out what concerns NHIS has with clubs running the ovals, I welcome the assistance. I will hopefully have a productive conversation with NHIS Management at this event. I don't make decisions on rumors or pontifications, but only facts. We're working with people's lives here, not just their cars and egos. NHIS has made a decision the ovals, or turns thereafter, are too dangerous for casual car clubs (of which BMWCCA, COM, SCDA, etc are to them). We'll live within this limit while we address the root concerns.

These things take time, have patience. As has been written in this thread multiple times, COM's own Board members want to run the Oval configurations. We're on your side. Thanks.
Andrew
'91 Sentra with wicked cool tint