Nova pic north chicane from 1990

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
frmda8ts
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Nova pic north chicane from 1990

Post by frmda8ts » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Recently a 1990 picture of a Nova in the north chicane of Loudon surfaced, and the north chicane looked different than it does now. The reason for that was, the new track was not fully completed when the first COMSCC event was held there. When that picture was taken, the track layout was: coming down from the hill section, there was a hard right turn onto the NASCAR back straight, then a left turn off the NASCAR back straight into the north infield. If you look just behind the Red RX7T in the picture, you can see the left hander coming off the NASCAR back straight.

Juiced06GTO
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Re: Nova pic north chicane from 1990

Post by Juiced06GTO » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 pm

That picture was sent to me by a fellow new gen GTO owner who now lives down in the Carolina's. I posted up some in car vids to the GTO forum and he saw I was running with COM and sent me the pic. Thanks for the added history, always fun to learn about the past!
2006 Pontiac GTO - Recovering Drag Racer....

frmda8ts
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Re: Nova pic north chicane from 1990

Post by frmda8ts » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Here's a little more club history from the era that picture came from. The sale of Bryar caused the club to scramble, looking for new places to run events at. The new owners had started ripping up the Bryar track, so the first 1989 COMSCC event in Loudon, while still based on the Bryar track, featured a hard right turn onto the oval (after turn 9) then another hard right from the oval onto the main straightaway. With the future looking uncertain, COM added an event at Bridgehampton (Long Island) that season, beginning a more travel-intensive event schedule that remains the case today.