want to rent out your trailer?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
chornung
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

want to rent out your trailer?

Post by chornung » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Anyone NOT going to Watkins Glen in September have any interest in renting out their open trailer?

I had initially planned on renting a U-haul trailer, but after talking to a couple people who have tried sounds like it's quite a bear/not possible getting a low-slung car up on one of those...

Thanks,
-Chris Hornung
#729 T80

cfossum
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: want to rent out your trailer?

Post by cfossum » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:41 am

You can try mine, but my low car has some difficulty getting onto it. There is a work around... I often have to jack up the tongue while it is still connected to the truck. The back of the trailer then gets lower so the incline angle of the ramps is reduced. It works.
I'm in CT though. Depending on the weight/size of your car, you are welcome to try it. 3000lb max.
-Carl

savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by savage217 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:28 am

Hey Chris,

what type of tow vehicle do you have? I have a 18 foot open trailer which requires a brake controller. The Uhaul trailers are surge brakes which do not require a brake controller so just keep that in mind regardless of who's trailer you go with. I live in Weymouth, MA.

-Nick
Nick DeRosa #305

dtlemoine
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dtlemoine » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:42 am

Chris - the workaround Carl suggested is a good one. This works on the Uhaul trailers as well... once you hook up to the tow vehicle crank the jack and push the tongue up as high as you can before driving the car up the ramps.

If you decide to do the Uhaul route, have a couple piece of wood ready to put under your front tires. This should allow your front splitter to clear the front lip of the trailer deck once the car is in place. I went this route for a season, it's not ideal, but it works.

If you have a brake controller in the tow vehicle, I'd take Nick up on his offer. It's a great trailer, much lighter than the Uhaul, and way easier to tow.
Dave

E36 328is | SD #14

chornung
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by chornung » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks guys!

Carl, appreciate the offer, but sounds like my porker car is too heavy anyway.

Nick, I'd love to take you up on that - I'm towing with an e70 X5M, pulling an e46 M3 - I'm getting a hitch & brake controller installed shortly. I'll contact you directly. Thanks very much!!! (Also, great battle in the iracing league a couple weeks ago at Summit Point I think it was, at least until I faded out towards the end).

Dave, thanks for the info & help!

-Chris
#729 T80