Summit : Fuel? Garages?

Any and all discussions concerning events.
mtc13
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Summit : Fuel? Garages?

Post by mtc13 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi all,
Are there garages at Summit, and will they be available to us?
Is UNLEADED RACE GAS available at or near the track?
Thanks!
-Michael
MTCampbell - #13

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:37 pm

There are no garages at Shenandoah. Sometimes a fuel truck is available in the paddock, at 4 or more bucks a gallon for the good stuff. The nearest gas is about 10 minutes away if you head towards Williamstown (I think it is Williamstown, or is it Charlestown) I could be wrong about the town name, but there is no gas station adjacent to the track at all.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

irondragon

Post by irondragon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:38 pm

Re: SP
No garages. But Shenandoah has quite a bit of paved paddock area. Try to find a paved space because if it rains you are going to find out about red clay mud!!
Don't know what you mean by 'Unleaded race gas'.
93-94 octane auto fuel is available at several stations about 15 minutes from the track.
Go out the main gate and head right on the S.P.-Charles Town Road.
Left over the RR tracks in Summit onto Leetown Road to rte 51 in Inwood.
Fuel at that intersection or for better prices turn left and go to the Sheetz mega station up by I-81.
Best Regards - Bill Miskoe

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by ctkag » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:46 am

Considering the number of people who will be going to Shenandoah, parking on the paved area shouldn't be a problem.

I've taken to bringing in my own race gas rather than pay track prices. I'm mixing the race gas with 93/94 octane that I get at the local stations though. Unless you're bringing along a 55 gallon drum, that may not work for you if you are using 100% race gas.
-Keith-

SPB116

guywwagner

fuel

Post by guywwagner » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:18 pm

Summit Point has 93 and 100 no lead and 110 leaded.The pumps require a credit card.I like that set up,no waiting for a fuel truck and always available.
Guy

mtc13
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by mtc13 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:45 am

Thanks for the information!
The fuel situation is almost too good to be true - so I called the track (could have done this before, but I didn't expect to get an easy answer - I was wrong, she was very helpful) and confirmed that there is indeed unleaded 100 octane available, self serve, bring credit card; and that they don't run out of it (happened to me at LRP once).
So, I'll bring an Easy-Up and some water proof boxes and some empty fuel jugs.
Thanks a lot, guys, Michael
ST-2 #13
1.8t GTI
MTCampbell - #13

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by ctkag » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:30 pm

Did she tell you the prices of the fuel? I paid ~$7.50/gal for 110 at my local race fuel provider before Mosport.

It's the track mark-up that makes bringing my own worthwhile.
-Keith-

SPB116

mtc13
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by mtc13 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:51 pm

Oop, no. I didn't ask about the pricing. But I don't know any place at all convenient here in "Metrowest" Boston to get the unleaded 100 octane, plus I have to carry the fuel in the car with me - no tow truck - which makes me a little uncomfortable....
MTCampbell - #13

mtc13
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by mtc13 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:48 pm

I've just recieved an email from Summit Point:
93 octane is $4.00/ gallon
100 and 110 octanes are $6.50
(93 & 100 are both unleaded)
-Michael
MTCampbell - #13

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:28 pm

Michael,
Just curious. Why do you need 100 octane? Are you still running the GTI in ST2?

mtc13
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by mtc13 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:53 am

Hi Mik,
I'd answer that Q. in a private email, but someone might think I had something to hide!
I blend 93 and 100 octane because... ready?....here it comes....Dick Shine (Shine Racing Services) told me to!
He also told me to do it with my stock, normally aspirated 1.8 litre GTI; and, for that matter, with my Yamaha FZR 400 race bike, too.
I ask him "why, Guru?"
But the answer is sometimes shrouded in the mystery of The East.
"But, Sensai, they [the cars] have knock sensors!"
"Yes, Grasshopper, but the sensors sense Knock, therefore the engine is experiencing detonation. Detonation Bad."
"But Master, the race bike..? No one else is using race gas..."
"Just do it!"
"A thousand apologies, Sensai"

And I leave it at that.
You gotta' figure that my chipped 1.8turbo motor is making some pretty high combustion pressures, and when flogged around a race track it gets pretty hot, so detonation is always a threat, and the knock sensor retards the ignition...right? - so you are also losing potential horsepower. Seems reasonable. I'm embarrassed that I don't really know, but my Guru doesn't always fill in the blanks. Yet I follow him blindly, for he is my master.
Will you be at Summit?
-Michael
Silver '02 VW GTI 1.8t
MTCampbell - #13

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:58 am

Ah,
That's cool, so the blended fuel will be about ~96 octane. Makes sense. I guess there's no way to be sure the 93 you're getting is actually 93 so I could see how belnding would be a safe bet. ...at least it can't hurt.

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:38 pm

I blend my own fuel too. I mix 20% 110 with 93, and according to a mixing chart, that gives me about 96.5 octane. Even thought my machinist assures me that my engine (10:1 compression ratio, aluminim head, carburated, and static timing) will not suffer detonation on pump gas, in race conditions. I just feel better (especially with E10) having a slightly higher octane number. Plus race fuel gives that nice smell :D

Here is a link to an interesting article about octane and compression ratio.
http://www.diabolicalperformance.com/hotrodoctane.html

Jonathan Whorf
900 Monte Carlo PA

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Beware the alcohol

Post by brucesallen » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:09 pm

With the introduction of varying amounts of ethanol in New England gas beware the preignition. Fuel pressure needs to be increased but you never know how much. I recommend 100 octane VP Fuel unleaded. No alcohol.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

cfossum
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cfossum » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:57 pm

Hey Michael,

There was a rule modification this year...
B. In cars using computers, software or hardware replacement or changes of the factory ECU is permitted. Ignition coil may be upgraded. Any ignition may be used as long as the stock spark trigger (distributor) is used. Forced induction cars must use stock boost levels."
I'm figuring on getting last place in my "ST2" Miata anyhow, but I gotta ask this question as your friendly competitor,
Does your aftermarket chip maintain stock boost levels?

-Carl