Shenandoah Track Map

Any and all discussions concerning events.
bhoss

Shenandoah Track Map

Post by bhoss » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:37 am

I plan on attending the Summit Point - Shenandoah track event but cannot find a track map that I can print for the Shenandoah circut. Any suggestions.
Bill Hosselbarth
COM Secretary 2011
1994 Mazda Miata
#49 PC

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:57 am

Here's a track map and a lap video from 2005
http://www.mydig.com/auto/video/05.04.0 ... actice.wmv

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:33 pm

From the discussion and videos here, it seems that the Shenandoah circuit has been upgraded and slightly reconfigured since our last visit! =D> :thumbleft:

Check the linked website above for videos from earlier this season.

Below is the configuration we ran last year as well as what I *think* the new configuration is.

2005:

2006:
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:37 pm

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:53 pm

Will,
The only difference between your two maps is that they're using the (optional) pit bypass in the second one.

I was at Shenandoah earlier this summer with SVTOA. They have done a lot to the track since we were last there in terms of runoff and filling in the shoulders, but the general configuration is the same.

It's become standard practice to run the cutoff after the hook, which straightens out the tight esses (eliminating T7). A good idea.

SVTOA also ran the pit bypass, not sure why. It wasn't too bad but I much prefer to run the pit straight.

Some clubs also run a cutoff at the top of the hill under the bridge, cutting off the carousel. I think that config really sucks. I know some people don't like the karussel but in my opinion the most fun part of the track is the set of turns immediately following it. With the cutoff you loose the most interesting part of the track. My $.02

It can be better seen in this map

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:09 pm

Hey Mick,

Thanks for setting it right. How was the trip to Shenandoah earlier this year? Last year's COM event was tough. Track was new and the weather was cold & rainy. From what I've read, the track has made several improvements and many have said that the track is better now or "the second time". :D I don't know what turnout is expected to be, but I know of a bunch of members that have registered. :)
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:39 pm

We were there in May, it was nice, warm with clear skies both days. It's a totally different experience when it's not 45° and rainy.
WillM wrote:..many have said that the track is better now or "the second time". :D I don't know what turnout is expected to be, but I know of a bunch of members that have registered. :)
I was one of the ones preaching the Shen gospel when I got back.
viewtopic.php?t=430

A lot of people were down on the track when we went. But I have to say, I liked it the first time around and like it even more now that I've been back. The only thing that would make it better is a 3rd day on the main circuit again :D

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by ctkag » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:14 pm

Oh, yeah, open track on the main course was phenominal!

The Karussel is a bit goofy. There was a big transition between the asphalt and the concrete that never made it feel like you could carry as much speed into it as you would think.

I hope we have the same configuration as last year though, cutting off the Karussel would take the fun out of the long straight.
-Keith-

SPB116