WTB: Fender rolling for $$?

THE place to sell it, buy it, or give it away.
nile13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

WTB: Fender rolling for $$?

Post by nile13 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:24 pm

A strange request, perhaps, but I'm going with 15x10 wheels on my NB and need to see if rear fenders can be rolled/pulled enough to fit these wheels. The fronts definitely need to be cut.

So, if anyone local to Boston area is good with rolling and stretching fenders and does so for a fee, let me know, please. If not, anyone looking to do some cutting? I hear it's therapeutic :)

Foosh442
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Re: WTB: Fender rolling for $$?

Post by Foosh442 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:46 pm

I almost bought a fender roller to tuck larger/wider wheels and tires under my wifes S2000. After thinking about it and realizing that would probably be the one and only time I would use the fender roller - I fired up the cut-off wheel and made some room for the new sneakers. I'm sure a NB isn't exactly the same as an S2K, but it took less than an hour and looks great. Go for it!! 8)
Mike Fuchswanz
'01 Corvette Z06 #442 SA/SB
'02 Corvette Z06 T100/SB (shared ride)

nile13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by nile13 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Mike, thanks!

I actually, hate doing any sort of metal cutting - I'm not good at it. Plus, the rear fenders on NB are double-walled. Which means that cutting rears up would have to be followed by some sort of metal folding exercise. And cutting fenders at a parking lot in North End might not be viewed kindly by management company :) That's why i'm looking for someone to do it and get paid.

ST1Ddope
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by ST1Ddope » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:50 pm

I know it's not in Boston but less than an hour away. Holmes Auto 16 Nashua Rd, Pepperell, MA 978-433-0400 they did my fender on my STi and did a great job. As always they hold no liability for your fender paint chipping or cracking but took very good care not to intentionally damage anything.
Chad Fox #9
1996 Integra GS-R T50

nile13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by nile13 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks, Chad! I'll try them, it's not too far away. Did they pull or cut your fenders?

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:44 pm

I think Fastrack in Peabody Ma can do this also. Scott is a Com competitor & instructor.
Runs in T50.
Give him a call at the shop.
Paul G.

nile13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by nile13 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Scott is doing alignment and other things on the car this coming Thursday. They can probably cut fronts for me but don't have a fender puller any longer, I've asked.

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by CP » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:14 am

Does Tire Rack rent them out? Hit the fender with a heat gun to prevent the paint from cracking. I don't know how much you'll be able to stretch the rears. I get rubbing inside both ends of my '99 wheel wells with just 7" wide Kosei's...with no fender liners.
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:21 am

i did 15x10's with bassett wheels on a customers NB with a V8 swap two years ago .
the fronts were not to bad to do the rears on the other hand you have to cut and remove most of the outter wheel house (that's the dubble panel your talking about )for the QTR's and fab up new ones then cut about 2" from the top of the QTR's wheel opening it's self . there is no way to roll the panels out to get a wheel that size to fit the car and still have it look like some thing . you have to or should buy the flare kit for the car . if you don't the body work needed because of pushing the QTR's out so far is more than it will be by just cuting and fabbing up some new outter wheel houses and weld then in .

nile13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by nile13 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Well... the rears actually fit in when the car is stationary. They don't rub. Of course, under autocross load they will rub.

I really don't much care what they look like after stretching or cutting. As long as the sharp edges don't destroy the tires on the course. i will definitely consider flares, but need to do something quick and dirty before the event on Sunday.

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:19 pm

if this is for autocrossing you would not want to do 10's in the front 9's would be the biggest you want to go with .
the reason is your going from a pos off set to a neg. off set when you get into the widths over 9 inches . this slows down the steering making the car slow to turn in .

as the outter wheel house to the QTR is a big part of the cars structural integrity of the car . so you just can't cut out the wheel house to get the clearance you have to build a new piece to go in and replace what you removed .
as for not caring if the wheel hit and you only don't want it to get destoried there is more to it than that .
even of the tire just rubs it will upset the balance of the car and what it's doing .
as for just rolling the wheel opening out no the wheel house is were it will and does hit and there is no way to just roll that out so it will not hit . and if you try you will only **** up the QTR's so bad you will have to replace them from the buckles you put in trying to do so .

nile13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by nile13 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:04 pm

962porsche wrote:if this is for autocrossing you would not want to do 10's in the front 9's would be the biggest you want to go with .
the reason is your going from a pos off set to a neg. off set when you get into the widths over 9 inches . this slows down the steering making the car slow to turn in .

as the outter wheel house to the QTR is a big part of the cars structural integrity of the car . so you just can't cut out the wheel house to get the clearance you have to build a new piece to go in and replace what you removed .
as for not caring if the wheel hit and you only don't want it to get destoried there is more to it than that .
even of the tire just rubs it will upset the balance of the car and what it's doing .
as for just rolling the wheel opening out no the wheel house is were it will and does hit and there is no way to just roll that out so it will not hit . and if you try you will only **** up the QTR's so bad you will have to replace them from the buckles you put in trying to do so .
Ummm... Every single fast CSP car in the country (and there are dozens) runs this setup I'm going to (15x10s all around with 275/15 Hoosier A6s) for the last 3-4 years. With zero issues. But if you have some specific non-conjecture reasons to do otherwise, let me know.

As far as stretching (I did say "stretch about half a dozen times) rear fenders - it's possible according to some and not possible according to others. Not rolling, stretching. This is _the_ reason I'm looking for someone with specific experience on NB Miata with 15x10 wheels.

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:08 am

it makes no differents what you wnt to call it stretching the wheel opening out or rolling them out it's one and the same .
i don't have allot of miata experience i have only built 48 to date and non are for autocrossing they are for road course racing and out of the 48 6 were V8 miata's . but what we found is the 9" wide tire in the front gives better road feel and faster lap times than the car does with 10" wide fronts . we did a many test days at the track to turn and set up the V8 miata .
but non the less any time you change the offset from a +pos. to a -neg. it will give a cars steering a slow sluggish feel to the turn in .
i do know this as a car builder you 1st look to see what every one else is doing then you change things and test from there . that is how you build a winning race cars .
you don't copy what every one else is doing and hope your as fast because all you did is copy them .
what your saying now is the same i was told when we changed the V8 miata's front tires out to the 9's and when i did the same thing on the porsche's i build .
now you see it as a normal thing that every one does with porsche 948's

nile13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by nile13 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:56 pm

15x9s had been used extensively in my class until 10" wheels became readily available. For a 275/15 tire 10s are fairly clearly faster than 9s. I wish it was otherwise.

I've ran 13x8.5" wheels with 255/13 A6s for the last 5-6 years. But the new tire/wheels combo, while a whooping 9 lbs heavier per corner, is clearly faster. Doesn;t feem nearly as good, but is faster. This is true on autocross course, I do not believe it translates to road courses, based on what I'm hearing. But, again, horses for the courses. And my courses have more than 12 turns :)

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Are you setting the car up for autox or track? Is it stock power?
Be cool to see it with 15x10s.

I only run 15x7 with a 205 at track on the NA. Until I'm running spec Miata or better lap times I don't see a need for more tire.
Paul G.