Rules 2013 - Version 1.2 and Voting!

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Rules 2013 - Version 1.2 and Voting!

Post by WillM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Version 1.2 of the ‘new rules’ is upon us!

The previous thread about the rules proposal , “Rules for 2013” is awesome in that it has attracted a bigger than normal group of members. This diverse group have shared their opinions, comments, support, and criticism, which is gold to a club like COM, where we strive to do what is right for our members. What that thread doesn't show, is the wild debates that have been raging behind the scenes!

To say that the 'new rules' have been fiercely debated among COM officials, officers, and board members, and the guys that developed the proposal, is a giant understatement...! The different opinions that have been represented in this thread have all been represented in our many monthly BoD meetings, conference calls, and special rules-specific meetings. I can say with certainty that the same goes with the opinions that have been discussed with me personally and through email, and I'm sure the same goes for the other COM officers, directors and officials too.

We have plotted a way forward for 2013 and beyond, and that path includes adopting the Touring class and retaining Street Prepared and Prepared (including FP) for 2013. This has allowed us to concentrate on Touring and doing our best to get it right. I expect that 2013 will be a transitional season; an opportunity to absorb Touring to its fullest potential and to also take a hard look as Street Prepared and Prepared to develop a Super class structure that will be as popular and successful as we hope and expect of Touring.

Version 1.2 is ready for review and will be posted at this link very soon: http://comscc.org/rules/2013-proposal/

The next COM meeting is next Wednesday, December 12th at the Yangtze River restaurant in Littleton, MA. The meeting will start at 7PM, but there will be several of us there much earlier for dinner.
Please review and let us know your thoughts! The officers and board will discuss this proposal at next week’s meeting and could make revisions before coming to a vote. If any revisions are made, the proposal will be amended into version 1.3. If passed by a vote during the meeting, adoption of the rules proposal will go before the membership for their vote.

Thanks,

Will
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

C5toSM
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Re: Rules 2013 - Version 1.2 and Voting!

Post by C5toSM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:55 pm

I think that covers it Will. Thanks to everyone for all their hard work thus far!

John
John Spain
comscc #47 Miata T40 (49.7)

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks, Will!
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

jbr3rd
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by jbr3rd » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:48 am

I saw a previous version, and will look again, but in the meantime thanks to the team who worked on reviewing and revising the rules documents, appreciate your efforts!
James Ray
Track COMSCC & SCCA: 2003 Mustang GT

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:23 am

Should have done this last week, but here's a quick list of the changes from version 1.1 to version 1.2. These changes were the result of a special BOD rules meeting held 2 weeks ago. See OP for details/next steps.

Safety requirements - roll bar, fire suit, harnesses, and arm restraints/window nets are all required in Prepared class cars, Touring cars with 51 or more modification points, or Touring cars with 16 or more engine modification points

Protest process - per current state, all rulings will be final by the end of the TT day (competitor has option to appeal after event)

Touring car requirements - all touring cars must have dashboard, passenger seat, all exterior body panels, unmodified frame A/B/C pillars, brake lights, windshield, and windshield wipers

Touring exterior mods - added K-member (3 points) and front subframe (1 point, if doesn't change suspension mounting points) mods

Suspension - changing compound of bushings is 1 point (now counts for non-metallic)

Brakes - brackets (0 points), rotors (1 point), calipers (1 point)

Wheels - added requirement for spacers, added lug thread engagement requirement
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:27 am

Personally, I like most of the changes and the way that the Touring Classes are shaping up going into the December BOD meeting. Thanks to the BOD for reviewing our proposal and providing meaningful, thoughtful feedback.

The only 2 new tweaks that I'm not thrilled about are the dashboard requirement in all Touring classes and making non-metallic suspension bushings 1 point (instead of 0) - I don't think these are worth nearly as much as other 1 point suspension modifications like front and rear sway bars or set of proper camber/caster plates.

...let us know what you think - keep in mind the meeting is just a couple days away.
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

dtlemoine
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dtlemoine » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:38 am

blindsidefive0 wrote:The only 2 new tweaks that I'm not thrilled about are the dashboard requirement in all Touring classes and making non-metallic suspension bushings 1 point (instead of 0) - I don't think these are worth nearly as much as other 1 point suspension modifications like front and rear sway bars or set of proper camber/caster plates.

...let us know what you think - keep in mind the meeting is just a couple days away.

Agree on the bushings. Compare a bushing "mod" to most of the other 1 point options and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a performance advantage anywhere near the same order of magnitude. Bushings should be free.
Dave

E36 328is | SD #14

wizzman
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by wizzman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:09 pm

dtlemoine wrote:
blindsidefive0 wrote:The only 2 new tweaks that I'm not thrilled about are the dashboard requirement in all Touring classes and making non-metallic suspension bushings 1 point (instead of 0) - I don't think these are worth nearly as much as other 1 point suspension modifications like front and rear sway bars or set of proper camber/caster plates.

Agree on the bushings. Compare a bushing "mod" to most of the other 1 point options and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a performance advantage anywhere near the same order of magnitude. Bushings should be free.
Completely agree with this.
-Dave W.

1994 Mazda Miata T50 #56

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Also agree.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

C5toSM
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by C5toSM » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:12 pm

if you agree then consider submitting a proposal to amend here: http://comscc.carclubreg.com/comscc/Log ... quest.aspx
John Spain
comscc #47 Miata T40 (49.7)

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:57 am

blindsidefive0 wrote:Should have done this last week, but here's a quick list of the changes from version 1.1 to version 1.2. These changes were the result of a special BOD rules meeting held 2 weeks ago. See OP for details/next steps.

Safety requirements - roll bar, fire suit, harnesses, and arm restraints/window nets are all required in Prepared class cars, Touring cars with 51 or more modification points, or Touring cars with 16 or more engine modification points
Just to add to this, it appears that in version 1.2 if you have removed your air bags harnesses are required for any vehicle (is that the intent? and sorry if this is not new, I didn't know), and if it is the intent I think the sentence underlined below can just be removed, it sort of confused me because it seemed like we are trying to distinguish between touring and prepared, but then the next sentence lumps everything together.
Under Car requirements, Interior, #6, item b:, last few sentences:
" Touring Class cars may use any DOT, SFI, or FIA approved harness. Prepared Class cars, any car that has acquired 51 or more Touring Class Modification Assessment points, any car that has acquired 16 or more Touring Class Engine Modification Assessment Points, or any car that has removed front airbag(s) must use an SFI or FIA approved harness with a minimum of 5 points (2 lap belts, 2 shoulder belts, and at least 1 anti-submarine belt)."

I noticed the "Classification Tool" is still V1.1Rev7; is this file going to be updated to V1.2 based on the changes mentioned in your post as well?

Paul G.
Paul G.

nateh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by nateh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:19 am

Maybe we need to add a bit more verbiage. Here's the intent of the rule:

"DOT harness" means stock 3-point seat belts. OK only in Touring with airbags (unless your car didn't come with them from the factory, in which case you are free to risk facial lacerations and a broken nose - Live Free or Die) and 50 or less added points.

The upgraded harness (for P, cars with 51+ extra pts, and no airbags) needs to be SFI or DOT, 5 point.
Nate Hine
1985 driversupply Frankenspec
1995 Spec Miata #47(1) white-blue

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Not sure why i cant seem to understand this; let me ask another way with an example:
I have a street car in a touring class, it came with a factory air bag, I removed it and replaced steering wheel cause it looks cool, I have a friend who passes the car for state inspection anyway, can I run DOT safety belts?

Paul G.
Paul G.

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:38 am

Seems clear if you remove the airbag you must install FIA/SFI 5-pt belts otherwise OEM belts are ok.

With regard to bushings, if the intent is assess points for performance mods, upgraded bushings ought to get some assessment since the primary reason to use them is performance (not cost savings). If the 1-point assessment is too severe, compared to other upgrades, there is a problem in the the point scale. Going forward, there will be an endless, constant stream of aftermarket performance parts produced, each will need to be assessed to keep the rules current; if the granularity of points allows you to use performance parts with 0 points that seems at odds with the basic premise of a points-based system.

FF

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by McMahonRacing » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:21 am

Exactly what FF said ..... plus, COM will need to react quickly to changes not the std. rules proposal @ year end rather a constant flowing system to maintain competativeness other wise you are out 1 full season to even make a proposal for a point adjustment that may or may not be enough and we all know how much we like change ..... curious too, what's going to happen w/ cars that are exceptionaly good at say NHMS but lack the aero. to pull a big track like WGI ......