Brake upgrade

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
cherrick156

Brake upgrade

Post by cherrick156 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:05 pm

I am currently driving a 1994 Mustang Cobra with 13" rotors and looking at upgrading my front brakes from two piston to a Brembo 4-piston caliper. Is this a legal upgrade for ST-1? <br>
Thanks Craig H.

<p></p><i></i>

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Brake upgrade

Post by DanDarcy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:46 pm

Hi Craig;<br>
That is a legal up grade because those brakes came standard on the 2000 Mustang Cobra R and in ST1 you can change brakes as long as you stay with brakes from the same manufacturer as your car. I have them on my car and love them. Scott rode in my car last year and was so impressed he put them on his car over the winter. Your standard Cobra 17" wheels will not fit over the Brembo calipers. I put the 18" Cobra R wheels on mine but I don't think that is the way to go. 18" tires are more expensive and less available. Scott has 17" wheels on his car which we tried on mine to see if they would clear the caliper and they did. I'm not sure what wheels he has but I'm sure he will answer you as he always has a smart answer for almost every ez board post. If you have any other questions you can e-mail me -- ddarcy@allpowersales.com. Good luck if you do it but I hope you don't--- I was almost getting as fast as you but with those brakes I'll have to go back to the drawing board<br>
Dan D'Arcy<br>
Mustang#310 ST1

<p></p><i></i>

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Brake upgrade

Post by offcamber09 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:16 pm

Craig knows what wheels they are...the problem is getting them when they aren't backordered. Craig I have found the Cobra R brakes to be dramatically better than the 2 piston slider Cobra brakes. I got my Cobra R kit from Tire Rack for just under $900...this included the slotted Brembo rotors which have held up so far for the whole season. Craig you know all about the cheap Napa rotors...2 events and that's it.<br>
<br>
Scott Rosnick<br>
#09 SPA Mustang

<p></p><i></i>