NHMS This weekend, Oct 8 & 9 - SOUTH OVAL

Any and all discussions concerning events.
WillM
Administrator
Administrator

NHMS This weekend, Oct 8 & 9 - SOUTH OVAL

Post by WillM » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:37 pm

The rumors are true!

Thanks to the awesome management and staff at NHMS, COM is returning to the south oval configuration for this event! We will be running the north chicane / south oval configuration on Saturday and Sunday, in all run groups and for the time trial. Woo-hoo!

It is important to understand that this is a trial-run. Our ability to run this configuration at future events depends heavily on our success at this event. As mandated by NHMS, there will be NO PASSING into, inside of, and out of the oval. We all need to adhere to this rule and give one-another breathing room while we’re out there.

We expect that this is long-awaited and exciting news for drivers that have run the oval in years past, and that the excitement also comes with some questions and concerns. During lunch on day 1 and in the morning of day 2 we will host a ‘chalk talk’ advanced/licensed classroom session to discuss the oval. All members are encouraged to attend. Driving the oval will also be discussed in some of the normal student classroom sessions. Licensed members are also welcome to take a seat during those classroom sessions too.

The following narrative was written by Bruce Allen several years ago, but it holds true today. Despite some new pavement on the oval, neither the driving line nor the groove has changed. Please note that all students will be taught the single, late-apex line, as described in the 2nd paragraph of the narrative below. The double-apex line, a.k.a. NASCAR” line, would likely be beneficial for a very small percentage of cars/drivers attending this event. As such, that line is best left to advanced drivers with high-horsepower yet limited-handling cars.
Turn 1 (South Oval configuration) by Bruce Allen

Approach Turn 1 by running close to the right side wall. Start turn-in at the “1” marker on the fence. The track banking begins at this point and turning here gives good grip. Turning earlier feels bad as the track is flat before this point. All high powered cars should follow the NASCAR example and treat this and most other Ovals as double apex turns—a Type 2 turn followed by a Type 1 turn. The cup cars are doing 150 mph at “1” marker and full throttle. They hold onto the straight speed as long as possible into the corner. They turn-in, aiming for the first apex 1/3 of the way around while trail-braking. They hit the apex (Turn 1) and perhaps slide up the track a little ways until the car is doing 100 mph. When they see they have control of the car and the car is not going to slide too far up the track they go back on the throttle pulling the car down to the second apex (Turn 2) and then they track-out to the wall. Note that to perform this high speed trail braking the car must be set up with some understeer to provide stability and avoid a spin. Skill is also required. (Will’s comment: The NASCAR example line will not be taught at this event)

Lower powered cars should start the turn-in at the same place but the goal will be to retain as much speed from the straight all the way through the corner. Lower powered cars with decent tires including most Miatas can maintain full throttle from the straight right through the oval. (Will’s comment: Start the day with a big lift to learn the line. Add speed later by delaying the lift more and more until you are confident you can take the oval flat-out. The majority of cars & drivers will have to scrub speed into the oval.) Medium and some higher powered cars (way less than the 750 hp of a Cup car) can merely lift after the “1” marker through the first half of the turn using the side scrub of the tires to lose some speed. For lower powered cars it is not important to hit the first apex. What is important is a smooth curve all the way through the corner to minimize tire scrub and associated loss of speed.
Thank you for the excellent write-up, Bruce!

Drivers should keep in mind that their entry speeds into the braking zone of T3 will be significantly faster than when running the south chicane. Drivers will need to brake much earlier and for a longer period. Please approach this with caution, braking plenty early and giving yourself plenty of room to start, and compressing the braking zone as you gain comfort and confidence here. Keep in mind that you are likely to maintain more speed around the oval, and exit faster and faster as the days progress. Accordingly, you will need to adjust your braking points at T3 to compensate for the additional speed.

Be sure that your brakes are at 100% before arriving to this event!

Here’s looking forward to a terrific event. Please let us know if you have any questions!

Regards,
Will Martins
Chief Instructor
COM Sports Car Club
http://www.comscc.org
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: NHMS This weekend, Oct 8 & 9 - SOUTH OVAL

Post by McMahonRacing » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:36 pm

You guys are killing me ...... may just have to bring the Cobra now ..... can you clarify this one point though ....

"As mandated by NHMS, there will be NO PASSING into, inside of, and out of the oval."

Can we still pass on the front straight exit of chicane too turn # 1 ?
Can we still pass from Turn # 2 to Turn # 3 ?

Understand the the no passing inside of it is just into & out of section that isn't quite clear, esp. for those who have not run it before .....

Thanks
Pat

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:40 pm

Further information to my write-up: This summer the Indycars averaged 170 mph around the oval which means at the entrance to Turn one they probably were doing over 190 and maybe 155 as the low speed in the oval. I expect Dan Darcy to duplicate these speeds in his FA, right Dan?
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:51 pm

McMahonRacing wrote:You guys are killing me ...... may just have to bring the Cobra now ..... can you clarify this one point though ....

"As mandated by NHMS, there will be NO PASSING into, inside of, and out of the oval."

Can we still pass on the front straight exit of chicane too turn # 1 ?
Can we still pass from Turn # 2 to Turn # 3 ?

Understand the the no passing inside of it is just into & out of section that isn't quite clear, esp. for those who have not run it before .....

Thanks
Pat
Correct. Passing zones on the front and back straight per usual. The emphasis is that passing on the front straight must be completed before turn-in for the oval, and passing on the back straight cannot begin until after the track-out of the oval.
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by McMahonRacing » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Any vote on which car is faster or funner ....... Do I bring the Cobra or the Mustang ..... hummmmmm, choices ???

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:24 pm

Not sure, but I think I'm going to bring a few extra pairs of clean underwear.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by CP » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Telling drivers new to the NASCAR corners to flat foot the entire section is going to result in lots of wrecked cars very quickly. Even the fastest local SM drivers lift when going into T1 (at around 105mph). SLOWLY work yourself deeper into the "lift zone" until your balls aren't big enough to carry anymore speed in there. I'd like to meet a Miata driver that doesn't lift going into NASCAR, as he'll have my respect. Even Gorriaran lifts there.
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion

nateh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by nateh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:16 pm

CP wrote:I'd like to meet a Miata driver that doesn't lift going into NASCAR, as he'll have my respect.
That makes me feel better. Whenever I've gone flat through T1 in our SSM, it's turned into a pucker moment in the latter part of the turn :shock: - and no faster, for sure.
Nate Hine
1985 driversupply Frankenspec
1995 Spec Miata #47(1) white-blue

naschmitz
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by naschmitz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:13 pm

Wish I could be there!
Bert Schmitz
#36 TT3 2006 Victory Red Corvette

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 pm

I expect Dan Darcy to duplicate these speeds in his FA, right Dan?
Sorry Bruce, I will not be bringing the Chevron Formula Atlantic to this coming event. I am leading in points in STGT but the rules state that you have to do three events in the same class to win the year end championship. So I will be bringing my old Mustang and running in STGT not FA. This will give me 3 events in STGT . I will bring the Chevron if I can run it in STGT and not get protested.
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by savage217 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:23 am

Here is a decent video of the south oval from this year. I participated in an SCCA open track day earlier this year. This was my first time running the oval and the tires I was on were awful. I kid you not they were completely heat cycled to sh$t, awful under steer and oversteer. As Will mentioned, the braking zone coming off of the back straight will need to be adjusted because of the excessive speed coming through there. You can carry quite a bit of speed through the oval, a lot more than most think (IMO) but obviously it will depend on the car's setup.
Nick DeRosa #305

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:01 am

savage217 wrote:

Here is a decent video of the south oval from this year. I participated in an SCCA open track day earlier this year. This was my first time running the oval and the tires I was on were awful. I kid you not they were completely heat cycled to sh$t, awful under steer and oversteer. As Will mentioned, the braking zone coming off of the back straight will need to be adjusted because of the excessive speed coming through there. You can carry quite a bit of speed through the oval, a lot more than most think (IMO) but obviously it will depend on the car's setup.
Early turn-in at Turn 1. Nice pass in Turn 9.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

delongedoug
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by delongedoug » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:11 pm

I was coincidentally watching that video last night (as you can tell from the comment). It took me a while going through your vids to figure out what kind of car that was. Quite speedy and on the edge a lot! :shock:
Blue Evo