Question about driving school

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

Klayfish
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Question about driving school

Post by Klayfish » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Hope this is the right place to post my question. I'm planning to get out and run with COM this year. Haven't picked the date for sure, but I'm targeting Sept. 12th at The Glen. I actually live in SE Pennsylvania, but always wanted to run at The Glen and COM seems to have a great deal there.

My car is an '87 Toyota Corolla FX16 GT-S. It's a former SCCA ITB car, I got it last summer but have yet to run it. My driving experience is about 6 HPDE days, all at Pocono. Did a few ride alongs at the Glen. I tried to run there once, but discovered the valve cover breather was bad when my instructor was driving my car. Couldn't find another one, so I had to pack it up...that sucked. I also have done about 50 HPDE events. However, this was all from '02 through '06.

Here's my question. My car only has a drivers' seat in it. I'm hoping to do one or two DE days prior to this one with COM. Would I be able to do a lead/follow in the novice group with an instructor?

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

sa

Post by WillM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:54 am

Hello,

Please contact me directly. I'll need a bit more info and some references would help (for example, info on any licenses or "solo" status you have with other groups).

Is installing a passenger seat for this event absolutely out of the question? Even if you are a competent and experienced driver, you'll have a much better event with having an instructor in the car for (perhaps) one session, than following or being followed by one for (perhaps) multiple sessions. Instructing with lead-follow sessions can be trying. Check rides are a better use of the lead-follow, but even then, it is much more efficient to be in the car.

The point of a check-ride is to:
1. Verify the driver's skill/ability (which run group do they belong?)
2. Observe the driver's on-track etiquette (do they play well with others?)
3. Test the driver's knowledge of club/track rules (do they know flags, passing zones, point-by rules?)
3. Exit the car in one piece (no spins, no agricultural experiences, etc.)

My email is chiefinstructor at comscc dot org

Cheers,

Will
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny: