What COM folks are building...

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What COM folks are building...

Post by Mick » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:04 pm

Will, you're officially on my radar. Haha.
Kidding, you've always been. But you're a much bigger blip now. No excuses with that power to weight. :twisted:

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm sure I can think of several excuses. ;) Also, when speaking about a Miata, the correct term is "power to wait". See? That's one excuse already.

By the way, have you come up with any ideas on how to take out the McParlands, Brendan, Sandy, or any of these other SPC newbies? They all have full cages, so I'm thinking a well-timed bump draft in just the right corner would do the trick nicely. Just when I was starting to accept third place, sheesh!
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

timmmy
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by timmmy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:59 am

I wish I was done and hence could be at the track today instead of sitting in my office wishing I was at the track. I am getting closer though and figured I would share an update on the Audi with ou guys and gals. Lots of work over the long weekend, and lots more to come over the next few weeks. I am hoping to have this thing ready for the next COM event July 4th weekend, eve if it still needs paint and final details. Cross fingers.

(lifted this from my main build thread over on Motorgeek.com http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... &start=800

The end of a 3 day weekend, I am on the couch with a bottle of Stella next to me. F1 on the TV and pictures of this weekends efforts on the web already. Guess its time for an update.

I like these long weekends, I feel like I can get a lot done, and still get chores and things done too.

Lets get started, a lot happened so plenty of eye candy coming up.

I picked up my anodized parts on Thursday night, they came out really nice. $100 wasn't bad either. Also got a few more parts in.

Strut top parts are in too :)

Koni strut spacers and a brake light pressure switch.

Dimpled some holes and folded the edges on the fuel pump plate.

Another $120 McmasterCarr hardware order, and it certainly wont be the last one!

Rear strut build up, fronts are similar so I will only show the sequence for the rear.

The rear struts have a little swage on the top of the tube, this means the lower strut spacer is not snug in the tube. I drilled and tapped 3 holes for grub screws to center and lock the spacer. (Fronts dont need that)

Put in the strut insert, add in the top spacer and put on the lock colar.

Add in the bump stop, then I tried out some gators I bought, they looked good right until I put the spring on, at which point I found they were too big..bugger!

Spring, adaptor, helpre spring, top cap and top mount in.

Lock down the grub screws and put it in the car.

After I got both rear struts done I didnt feel like getting under the car yet, so I turned my attention to the steering. Made a gasket form some high temp silicone foam for the steering rack cover plate. Bolted the plate on.

Put bulkhead fittings back in properly, swapped fuel ones around so they are cleaner in the car. Finished up fuel line plumbing too.

Fuel plumbing to bulkhead is done. Also made up a bracket for the transmission access panel.

Final cleanup and lube on steering column and that went in too.

Rear subframe next on the list. (everything is getting loctite)

Rear control arms in too. Also tie rods in but need some spacers made up to set rear bump steer.

Front struts built up

Steering: I needed to make up some things to mount the steering arms to the rack. I made some little chromoly spacers on the lathe, then modified the bracket accordingly.

Next up was some temporary spacers on the outer ends of the steering rods. I set these as low as possible, but will have to measure the bump steer and adjust as needed. Added seals to the rod ends too.

Time for another beer.....

After a lot of discussions with Tilton, and lots of math done by them, I decided that the Alcon calipers wont work for this car as the pistons are too small, so a few mods later and I what I need. (1.86 & 1.75" staggered pistons) rears I have S4 single piston for now but they will likely get the push for some Wilwoods too.

In order to change from Alcon to Wilwood I needed to machine 2mm off the bracket to center the caliper

A3 steel so took a while on my little mill

Et voila

Take a breath, and a drink...

Mid weekend progress

Todays work now

Pressure tested the coolant pipes, lots of welds, a few small leaks. I wash welded the leak areas and then gave them a blast and some wrinkle powder coat.

Some other parts got blasted and coated too, these parts are the rear diff mounts, steering parts and a few others, powdered but not baked.

Steering parts coated and final installed

Trans tunnel braket final install and heater in place too.

Fuel pump mount panel blasted, wrinkled and installed. Fuel system in place. Happy with it mostly but I am a little concerned about the o-ring on the check valve to the right of the pump, it is soft and squish for high pressure, I might swap it for a few crush washers.

The gold wasn't BLING enough so I added some silver too. The silver is Aluminum foil tape, super sticky and conforms nicely. The edges of the gold were peeling so this was my solution

Mufflers in and thats about it.
Haydn Taylor
www.motorsport-ht.com

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Your work shows great attention to detail and skill! I am sure it will bring you much joy on track. I envy your patience! :D :sunny:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

jakesrodshop
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by jakesrodshop » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:05 pm

mark, its not that he wants to take this long, he is just scared to go on track with kurt and I.
jake
69 camaro, dry sump ls6,t-56, 4.10 detroit tru trac lsd rear, c6 front chassis, tq arm rear chassis, 275 front/335 rear tires, atl fuel cell

timmmy
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by timmmy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:07 pm

jakesrodshop wrote:mark, its not that he wants to take this long, he is just scared to go on track with kurt and I.
jake
Ass!
Haydn Taylor
www.motorsport-ht.com

jakesrodshop
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by jakesrodshop » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:34 pm

hahahaahahahah............... audi wimp
69 camaro, dry sump ls6,t-56, 4.10 detroit tru trac lsd rear, c6 front chassis, tq arm rear chassis, 275 front/335 rear tires, atl fuel cell

timmmy
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by timmmy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:51 am

Almost there now, headed to the Glen on Monday for testing.

See you all at Tremblant with any luck.

Youtube video of first run round the block, taken a few weeks ago now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o-NK9dxXDM
Haydn Taylor
www.motorsport-ht.com

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:20 pm

I tried to tell you guys that the one that blasted down the street in the 'hood was a COM member.
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:25 pm

"Almost there now, headed to the Glen on Monday for testing."

Cool! I'll be there as well! It will be nice to see the car in person. :wink: Just put a new motor in my car and will be giving it the whip Mon/Tues.
Let's pray for :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"