Audi TT in the SS Class ?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
rosamila
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Audi TT in the SS Class ?

Post by rosamila » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie to Com & was wondering if anyone out there has tried running their Audi TT at an event? Mine is a 2002 1.8L Turbo TT Quattro Coupe that I use as a daily driver & thought it would be fun to put it on the track. I've done a few DEs with the PCA in a 944 Turbo. Lots of fun but one afternoon I spun the #2 rod bearing making it not so much fun afterwards. Anyway, I heard about an Accusump afterwards that may have prevented the disaster.

Anyone have thoughts on putting a Accusump in TT or is that engine really over-engineered and able to take on the rigors of the track without it?

Looking to keep the car stock and run it in the SS class.

Thanks! :D
02 - Audi TT 1.8L Turbo
03 - Boxster S

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Audi TT in the SS Class ?

Post by offcamber09 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:11 pm

Hello and welcome to the club. The benefits of an accusump are twofold: 1. You never start the motor dry 2. (and more to the point of what MAY have save your Porsche motor) in the event that your oil pickup tube starts sucking air instead of oil due to high g-force turns- the accusump will continue to provide oil pressure in a limited capacity. Depending on what kind of baffles and/or windage the oil pan has- the accusump may be overkill- but I've used them and I credit it with saving a Mustang motor that had a failed oil pump on track- the accusump gave me a little extra time to get the motor shut down before it grenaded.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:59 am

i have raced 944's for years . the cause of the 944 motors spinning the #2 bearing is not from oil starving in turns .

rnoonan
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by rnoonan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:11 am

We've had a few TTs over the years. It should be a good track car, especially in the rain, though you might find that it understeers a bit in dry conditions. You shouldn't need an accusump or any other modification; just make sure it's in good shape mechanically (especially tires, brakes, suspension and steering), get yourself a helmet and register! That's the beauty of SS - you can get on the track for short money, get some top-notch instruction and decide whether you want to get in deeper.

Kai Noeske
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Kai Noeske » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:36 pm

I took the liberty to fix your post...
rnoonan wrote: That's the danger of SS - you can get on the track for short money, get some top-notch instruction and before you know it, you are hooked and spend all your time and money on your ever-worsening track addiction.
93 Corolla 1.6L 4AFE 3 spd auto, #831 SSC / HS
99 Civic SI, #9 NER SCCA SSC / COM SSB

rnoonan
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by rnoonan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:36 pm

LOL!! Right you are, Kai - it's time and money that limit my participation!

rosamila
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by rosamila » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:06 pm

I can see what a great group you're all part of :D A fun bunch sharing in the fun, thrills and excitement of track time.
Spring can't come soon enough.

Thanks everyone for the terrific feedback and looking forward to signing up this year !

Ron
02 - Audi TT 1.8L Turbo
03 - Boxster S

eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by eastcoastbumps » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 am

I did a few track days in my daily driver MK4 GTi last summer (very similar to your TT). A good set of tires and brake pads and fluid is all you need. I added a set of Bilstiens and H&R race springs after the first time on track to combat some of the body roll. Thats probably not necessary with your TT. Its a capable car and I had a lot of fun running down Cobras and 911's at Mosport with another club...it was sad getting passed by nearly everyone else on track with COM.

I have a set of race pads with a good amount of life left if you're interested, as well as a set of BFGoodrich R1s. PM me.

Pete
Pete McParland #617
Honda S2000

rosamila
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by rosamila » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:27 am

Thanks Pete! Definitely interested in the pads but when I have tried to PM you it returns with an unknown user address?

Ron
02 - Audi TT 1.8L Turbo
03 - Boxster S