Wanted: Miata for newbie

THE place to sell it, buy it, or give it away.
cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Re: Wanted: Miata for newbie

Post by cuppatea » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Hey thanks for the offer Cy! I'll check the sizes and if they fit, I'd love to have your seats. :D ... to be honest, I really don't like all that "pretend luxury" inside the car. Previous owner was a chick and so it really does come with all the 'accessories'.... :roll:

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:30 pm

I need to see this pretend luxury that the chicks dig. . :lol: Pics! :sunny:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

nile13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by nile13 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 pm

CP wrote:If you want to ditch the leather seats (not so grippy at the track), I've got a good set of cloth seats that just came out of my donor Miata, sliders and all. Come to think of it, I've also got a Nardi leather wheel with or without the airbag mounted in it, center console, power mirrors (green) and all the trunk liners. This all came out of a 99 but should bolt right up to the NA cars. Please come take some of this stuff so that I can make room for the spare hood, fenders and doors in the crawl space of my garage.
Cy, if you have a console with the top cover with unbroken hinges, I'm interested, as my hinges are busted. I' might also be looking for a driver's interior door panel in black.

Please let me know.

Mike.S

PS. Gordon, we miss you. Come back to Devens! :)

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:53 pm

Hey Mike,

I really tried to get there this summer with the new car, but it was always apart when there was an event. Hopefully next year should be more stable.
Gordon Andrade
#10 Super C MX-5

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 6PAK72 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:34 pm

Will, the EBC's gave us 6 track days, 3 of them hard. (Nate drove it...) :P so I hear you. Carbotech's going in this weekend, thanks for the advice.

Also, for those who care, I worked out a solid, safe mounting method for the mid-width (17, 18 and 19") MOMO fiberglass FIA seats to mate to the OEM slider seat rails so that both Liz and I can fit, and get under the interior dimension of the hard top by 2". It's TIGHT for me, but it's there. Let me know if you want build info.
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Hey y'all,

I finally got my Miata (her name is Maus) back to New Haven after an arduous and slightly eventful drive yesterday (read: mysterious case of flat-tire on I-84).. Thanks to Kai's driving, no one was hurt and Kai promptly changed the offending tire. Was ~2 hours late to our Thanksgiving dinner but we made it :) Anyway, replaced the bad tire today and had my first try driving her. I can't wait till I'm fully comfortable with the gearshifts :D
Attachments
IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG (37.52 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG (39.43 KiB) Viewed 3947 times

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Oh yeah, and here is what I was talking about when I mentioned about the 'pretend luxury'. You won't believe it but it even came with a duffle bag which fits behind the seats around the style bar! *urgh* how accesorized out!
Attachments
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG (28.23 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
IMG_0301.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG (43.39 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG (37.91 KiB) Viewed 3947 times

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:02 pm

The nardi shift knob and e-brake handle are pretty expensive actually. I hear ya on the stick on wood grain kit.
Very nice car; my first one was a '92 Black/Tan which I still miss. A 91 year old took it from me unfortunately.

Good luck with it. You can probably source used plastic dash pieces on here from a racer; if not I find http://www.mazdaspeeddevelopment.com/index.php has the best prices once you sign up; or http://www.finishlineperformance.com is another site I use often for factory mazda stuff.

Sign up for the email list. They'll be sending coupons out for free shipping and discounts sooner than later with the holiday season coming fast. If you have any questions feel free to contact me; I'll do what I can. Lots of knowledgeable folks on here, and TONS of info on miata.net

Paul G.

My old one ('92 Black/Tan C-Package):
http://tinyurl.com/ykcj3jz

The replacement:
http://tinyurl.com/yhc9v8e
Paul G.

horizenjob
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by horizenjob » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:15 pm

I would normally be the last to recommend cosmetic changes for a race car, because I don't like to let on how important shear intimidation can be. Having said that you could protect the wood around the base of your shifter with some duct tape, and the knob itself would well be replaced by an AN bolt with a stack of washers. It's probably metric actually, but you could probably force something proper on there.

The cosmetic part would be a set of Mad Max style boots, you could wear the brace on your clutch foot, just to display determination. This winter is a good time to start working on a casual smile somewhere between Elvis' and Clint Eastwood's. Don't let people know where you learned this stuff though... :)
Marcus Barrow - Car9, an open design community supported sports car for home builders.
Car9 Roadster information - models, drawings, resources etc.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:25 pm

The wood goes well with the tan interoir... :lol: :wink: :wink: We have the same radio face plate...I did get one on Ebay for $10. Tunes!

Might stripe mine this weekend..if the weather keeps me in...
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:29 pm

Thanks guys for all your support. :D I'll see how I go, I'm really lazy but if I really can't stand it, I'll now know where to go. At the moment, I don't even notice the stuff when I'm driving because I'm still trying figure out the clutch and the shifting :shock:

cheers,
Ivy
ps/ Your last Miata actually looks fairly identical to mine. I like it :)

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks Mark. I'm not missing the radio faceplate, I just took it off and forgot to put it back on for the photos. :) I just bought a car sticker/decal for mine on the internet too :wink:

Kai Noeske
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Kai Noeske » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:33 pm

cuppatea wrote: At the moment, I don't even notice the stuff when I'm driving because I'm still trying figure out the clutch and the shifting :shock:
Let me correct that: It took you about 10 minutes on an empty parking lot to learn takeoffs, stops, upshifts, downshifts, AND the smoothest starting-on-a-hill-with-the-E-brake I ever saw, :arrow: all with a hard-going short shifter :!: , without causing a single grind noise from the tranny!!! :shock:
93 Corolla 1.6L 4AFE 3 spd auto, #831 SSC / HS
99 Civic SI, #9 NER SCCA SSC / COM SSB

3B'dB3
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by 3B'dB3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:40 pm

Get a hardtop! :)
Evan N.
1990 Miata

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:55 pm

The soft-top is not too bad at the moment so I'll wait and see. Thanks :)