Has Anyone ever tried Ferodo Brakes

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
ncc1701
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Has Anyone ever tried Ferodo Brakes

Post by ncc1701 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for some track pads for the new GTR, believe it or not, people want ALOT of money for GTR related stuff.

Anyway, Ferodo has brought their DS2500 Compound to the US for the GTR and I was wondering if anybody had used or heard of these pads.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Has Anyone ever tried Ferodo Brakes

Post by Mick » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:23 pm

I've used the DS3000 pads in the past. They are a good pad, I'm not sure how they will compare to the DS2500 though.

For comparison, here's a post I made a while back comparing different compounds. This might help if you've tried any of the other compounds that I have:
Pagid Blue
- Good intermediate pad but not suitable for heavy track duty, I cooked a set in one day

Pagid Orange
- Pros: Smooth initial bite, excellent modulation, great overall pad.
- Cons: Wore quickly 5-7 track days, $ Hella Expensive

Ferodo DS3000
- Pros: Smooth initial bite, good torque and modulation, reasonable price
- Cons: Wore quickly 5-7 track days, especially the rears for some reason

Hawk HT-10
- Pros: Last forever. 6 days on them and they're not even 1/2 worn
- Cons: High initial bite (Some people see this as a pro) Like to be run hot which can be tough on rotors. Running them in the rear yields a little too much rear bias.
This is with stock floating calipers, car was 2650lbs at the time.

bstonkus
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by bstonkus » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Mike - I've used the 2500's in 03' & 04' on my 4,400#ish. Lightning (sadly sold last week). I was always happy with the performance, great bite, never faded. Used to get 6-7 track days out of a set of pads, 4-5 track days out of front (stock) rotors. The rotors would fracture on the ride home from the event. In comparison, I used up three compete sets of stock pads at my first event with Mr. Connicher as my instructor. He worked the gas, I worked the brake. I would not hesitate on trying the Ferodo's.

Brian S.
SP/SPA mustang #102.

subsonic
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by subsonic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:33 pm

A good pad, but It is a hybrid pad - not dedicated for track. If you plan to track the car and go fast then they will not do.

I had those on for 2 track weekends on a 3400lbs car - they held up pretty good if you were mindful of them. But in the interest of comparaison, I put on Cobalt GT (I was told equivalent of DS2500) and the Cobalts were torn apart within 2 sessions on similar track as what I drove the DS2500.
#217 SPB

ncc1701
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by ncc1701 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to give these a try since:

1. There are not that many pads made for the GTR yet.
2. The Pagid pads are 3X more expensive.
3. I will probably be using street rubber for the first 1 or 2 events.

See you all in April.

Mike

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:06 pm

yes i use them . the ds3000 pads . thay are the best pads i have found .i have also used 2500 's on my vw gti and liked them too . but i'm very bias about this becouse a very good frend is one of the R. AND D. peaple for Ferodo in Europe . running proper brake temps. is of the utmost importance ! for that pad you want to be at 800 to 900 degrees F. and on more than 1100 and no less than 600.

morrism
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by morrism » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:30 pm

I used those pads last season on my stock Evo IX (stock Advan tires too). They held up fine (no pad fade) until they were worn about half-way through (2 or 3 track days) and then I experienced serious pad transfer! If you do get the DS2500s I would suggest watching the pad wear and replacing the pads sooner rather than later.

That said, as my Evo had pad transfer issues I worry that the larger/faster GT-R could easily overheat the DS2500's.