timers

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
jakesrodshop
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

timers

Post by jakesrodshop » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:38 pm

what are you guys using for timing your cars? where is the best place to get them?
thanks
jake
69 camaro, dry sump ls6,t-56, 4.10 detroit tru trac lsd rear, c6 front chassis, tq arm rear chassis, 275 front/335 rear tires, atl fuel cell

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:30 pm

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:43 pm

Standard Hotlap system $170 from Driver Supply

Chances are very good that there will be at least 1 transmitter on the wall at all times, so most members just buy the system without transmitter. I have a transmitter, but it often stays in my trailer box.
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

jakesrodshop
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by jakesrodshop » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:10 pm

thanks, i will do the hot lap timer, unless i decided to do data aquistion, is traq cam stuff decent? i was looking at msd racepak, but this looks interesting, and does it work with any camera, or come with its own camera? i bet this will teach a driver alot, as well as tell me what my chassis is doing
jake
69 camaro, dry sump ls6,t-56, 4.10 detroit tru trac lsd rear, c6 front chassis, tq arm rear chassis, 275 front/335 rear tires, atl fuel cell

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by ctkag » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:54 pm

I'd say half the people with lap timers are using the HotLap timer. There are a good number of us using the Ultra-Lap XT as it's a lot smaller and does offer pc connectivity and stores more data, and like the HotLap, you can pretty much count on there being a transmitter out on pit wall. Then you have those with the GPS driven data acquisition units that are $1k plus. Both the HotLap & XT can be blinded by sunlight, so neither is 100%.
-Keith-

SPB116

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:54 pm

ctkag wrote:Then you have those with the GPS driven data acquisition units that are $1k plus.
Except for those of us using the MaxQData GPS system, which is $289 (plus another $100 or so if you need to get a Pocket PC to go with it.). It obviously doesn't do nearly as much as the more powerful ones like Traqmate, but jeez, it's about 1/3 the price. I've also heard of some homebrew GPS systems that are even cheaper than that.

I use the running laptime feature pretty much every time I'm on the track, which measures "time since last here," and continuously updates itself. So, for a hypothetical example, if I'm running perfectly consistent laps of 2:06 at Tremblant (I wish), my dash display will read 2:06 all the way around the track. But if I try a different approach to a corner that gains me 0.5 seconds, I can see the display instantly drop to 2:05.5, and I know immediately that I gained 0.5 seconds in that turn. Pretty cool stuff. 8)
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

morrism
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Re: timers

Post by morrism » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:39 pm

I am bumping this thread up from the distance past!

Has anyone here used the PerformanceBox ($500), DriftBox ($750) or Traqmate ($700-$1000) GPS timers?

Having split-times as you drive seems like a powerful tool, and it would be really cool to download GPS your traces at the end of the day and identify fastest line! I also like Traqmate's ability to tell you where you were accelerating/coasting/braking.

What is it like to use these devices in the real world?

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:44 pm

i don't use one i'm just using the hot lap timer . but when i worked for newman he did use a gps type at times . it worked good but the end cost was high . by the time that bob and mark from risi ferrari got it installed and up an running the end cost was more like 2800 dollars . i know mark had to get a new lap top for it but i don't know why ? that was not my job on the team .

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:25 pm

I have a Performancebox. Plug it in and wait for it to aquire a satellite fix.Usually takes a minute. You have to set your start/finish line by first accessing the lapping mode. You them must set the start/finish line you will cross within 20'(adjustable borders).The car must be moving across the spot (start/finish)when you set it by pressing a tiny semi-recessed button with your finger. Tough for me to do with gloves and arm restraints,and have the unit within reach,as it needs to "see" the satellites to work.It must be mounted with an unobstructed view of the sky.Suction cupped to the windshield has worked,however this time out,I moved it up by the rear view mirror so I could reach it better.Had to use tape,as I did not trust the suction cups.Still managed to press the start/finish line button twice,causing a split section that messed up my lap readout. Have had it since last June,and it does record lap times accurately when set up properly,(and much more) but I am still not comfortable with reviewing times or it's full operation. The display is difficult to see in some light conditions,and if you pull under anything,(awning,or into trailer)it looses it's mind...or something to that effect..same thing if you unplug it from the battery source.

If you were into really breaking down your runs by many variables,this can do it.GPS of your lines,G forces braking/accelerating,yaw,etc and download it to your laptop.

I just bought it to time my laps..and store them for me to review. For now. If I don't toss it out a window first...

One good thing is I will never leave my beacon behind. :lol:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

morrism
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by morrism » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:49 am

breakaway500 wrote:I have a Performancebox. Plug it in and wait for it to aquire a satellite fix.Usually takes a minute. You have to set your start/finish line by first accessing the lapping mode. You them must set the start/finish line you will cross within 20'(adjustable borders).The car must be moving across the spot (start/finish)when you set it by pressing a tiny semi-recessed button with your finger. Tough for me to do with gloves and arm restraints,and have the unit within reach,as it needs to "see" the satellites to work.It must be mounted with an unobstructed view of the sky.Suction cupped to the windshield has worked,however this time out,I moved it up by the rear view mirror so I could reach it better.Had to use tape,as I did not trust the suction cups.Still managed to press the start/finish line button twice,causing a split section that messed up my lap readout. Have had it since last June,and it does record lap times accurately when set up properly,(and much more) but I am still not comfortable with reviewing times or it's full operation. The display is difficult to see in some light conditions,and if you pull under anything,(awning,or into trailer)it looses it's mind...or something to that effect..same thing if you unplug it from the battery source.

If you were into really breaking down your runs by many variables,this can do it.GPS of your lines,G forces braking/accelerating,yaw,etc and download it to your laptop.

I just bought it to time my laps..and store them for me to review. For now. If I don't toss it out a window first...

One good thing is I will never leave my beacon behind. :lol:
Shoot! I was really hopeful about the PerformanceBox (as it is the least expensive...) but you are making it sound like a pain rather than a pleasure. To confirm, it's hard to read the displayed lap times while racing around the track? Have you examined your lap data onto a computer yet? Is it clear from the data where you are accelerating, coasting and braking? I would be nice get that sort of data without needing to wire a connection between the GPS-logger and my ECU .

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:58 am

When I first got the unit last year,I was at an autocross at Devens and one of the participants knew all about the Performancebox.I went out and set up the unit with splits and during lunch,we,make that he..was able to access the data on the Box and download it to a laptop.It was really interesting,and showed every run,where you applied the brakes,hit the throttle,G forces generated in corners etc. Very..interesting.. I am sure there are plenty of people that will get something out of that data,but when I am running,the last thing I am thinking about is that data. I use the data in my head. :wink:
The display on the Performancebox is LCD and in some light conditions,unreadable. It is backlit,but still,not as readable as the LED units I have seen.When I pass someone and can read their lap timer better than I can read my own,something is wrong.
I have been in contact with the company,and they are aware of a few of the problems with the unit,but so far have not had much impact on my urge to toss the thing out the window... :lol:

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:10 am

morrism wrote: I was really hopeful about the PerformanceBox (as it is the least expensive...)
See my post above about the MaxQData system. Depending on whether you already have a suitable cell phone or PDA, it's either a lot cheaper or the same price as the PerformanceBox. It uses a Windows Mobile device (cell phone or PDA) as the display. If you already have one of those, then the receiver and software is $300. If you don't already have one and need to get one, you can pick up a used PDA on eBay for around $100, or get one from MaxQData for $200.

If you'll be at Watkins Glen, come find me and I'll be happy to show it off for you. I'm pleased as punch with mine. I use it routinely to get continuous running lap times, which tells me instantly if I gain or lose time at a corner.

The biggest hurdle was building a suitable bracket for the PDA on my dashboard. There wasn't a good flat place to mount one, so I had to build a bracket. It took a couple of tries to get a design that I'm happy with, but now it's rock solid and very easy to read the display. The software takes the usual amount of time to learn how to use, but it's not difficult for anyone even moderately familiar with computers.
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:17 am

^That sounds like a nice unit! A running lap time display would be very useful.

morrism
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by morrism » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:40 pm

Dave_G wrote: If you'll be at Watkins Glen, come find me and I'll be happy to show it off for you. I'm pleased as punch with mine. I use it routinely to get continuous running lap times, which tells me instantly if I gain or lose time at a corner.
I would love to take a look a your MaxQData setup, but unfortunately I will not be at the Glen. Maybe at one of the upcoming NHMS events I could take a look.

I presume that the "continuous running lap times" you speak of are calculating how long it was since you were last on the current piece of track. (In other words, this lap vs last lap.) Can you get the unit to compare the current lap vs your fastest lap? Now that would be useful!

morrism
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by morrism » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:42 pm

breakaway500 wrote: I have been in contact with the company,and they are aware of a few of the problems with the unit,but so far have not had much impact on my urge to toss the thing out the window... :lol:
If you do decide to toss the thing, please let me know first. I will go stand under said window! :lol: