Video Thread - Palmer clockwise (Remlap)

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Video Thread - Palmer clockwise (Remlap)

Post by Mick » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:25 am

Here's by best lap from 06/20/2021

TXBDan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Video Thread - Palmer clockwise (Remlap)

Post by TXBDan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:47 am

Very nice! What tires were you on? I'm really interested in what min speeds people are seeing.

We'll have the data depot up soon so people can link their data in these posts if they want to share.
Dan Durusky
Mazda RX8

TXBDan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by TXBDan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:53 am

Here's my vid

149.210 on lap 3
T70, 2014 Cayman S, Yoko A052s

Looking at the vid, I feel I'm still not on the gas as much as I should be. The first lap was a bit lazy with the throttle and wonder if its because the tires were cold resulting in like 27psi pressures and felt sloppy. On lap two I bobbled somewhere and gave up the lap to save the tires and it came together better on lap 3.

I was faster last year in T60 trim (148.8)

I assumed the difference was temperature and the A052s greasing up in the heat, but I did a quick look at the data last night and I actually lost all the time in T2 where I was simply going too slow. T2 is my nemesis, CW and CCW. gah.

I welcome all comments, especially ones saying to buck up and step on the gas more authoritatively. :sunny:
Dan Durusky
Mazda RX8

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:11 am

TXBDan wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:47 am
Very nice! What tires were you on? I'm really interested in what min speeds people are seeing.
BFG R1-S

toejam_nh
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by toejam_nh » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:55 pm

Here's a couple of time trial laps of mine from this weekend. I feel there is a lot of time for me to make up here. First turn from straight (14?) I feel I wasn't driving deep enough before braking, always felt I could take that uphill faster. Any other suggestions other than get a faster car? 😉
Last edited by toejam_nh on Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vince Collins 003 T40
2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec
It's slow but it's paid for 😆

beatus
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by beatus » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:17 pm

My TT run. Sorry the sound didn't record, external mic didn't hook up to the GoPro...

First timed lap starts at ~2m in, the first 2 minutes are the out lap. The first timed lap was the fastest.

I made some early mistakes on the 2nd lap, so I backed off to save tire temp for the third one (and I knew the first lap was decent). I don't know if this is good strategy or not, this was my first TT.

I'm still a novice, so I'd certainly appreciate any input on what I could improve. Some things I noticed (and Dan pointed out the day before too):
- I'm bleeding too much speed from 14 -> 13 and doing a downshift here. Dan said I should leave it in 4th (and get the down shift in the braking zone into 12) and looking at the video I totally agree.
- Could have gotten on throttle a bit earlier in 12, given I clipped the inside of the apex on 11.
- I think grabbing 2nd in 9 is faster, but the upshift to third in 8 is at a time when the car gets light so I was being conservative / safe.
- I go on then back off throttle in 8 some, the car can hold WOT there pretty sure.
- Into 7, I tried a few different lines. Mid track seemed okay here, I think I should brake a bit later and trail brake more to turn the car in. Use the uphill to scrub the speed more instead of as much brake. I was back on the throttle before the up hill really gets going, which tells me I was braking too early.
- 2nd might be faster in 7 as well, but I have to manage inside front wheel spin in second if so.
- My throttle commitment was good after I got turned into 7, WOT all the way to braking zone into 5.
- Lifted / broke too early for 5 I think. I really wish I had brake inputs.
- I struggled with a line through 5. Tried a few over the weekend and really they didn't feel much faster either way. I'd love some input here.
- barely touch the brakes to get the car to turn into 4. Then WOT as soon as I could. Here's another spot that 2nd is probably faster. I also feathered the throttle, poor throttle commitment and I ended up having plenty of track out so I didn't need the partial lift.
- Good commitment in 2
- Got the car turned into 1 and back on the throttle early.

It would be incredibly useful to know if i'm wrong in some of my comments and if I also missed things. I'm still learning and really appreciate the input.
Brandon Ganem
#005 Mazda RX8

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:46 pm

beatus wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:17 pm
I made some early mistakes on the 2nd lap, so I backed off to save tire temp for the third one (and I knew the first lap was decent). I don't know if this is good strategy or not, this was my first TT.
The advice I always give for time trials – Don't think about laps. Execute each corner to the best of your ability until you see a checkered flag.

The panning effect on your camera is cool but I find it makes it more difficult to judge what the car is doing in relation to your steering input.

beatus
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by beatus » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Mick wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:46 pm
beatus wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:17 pm
The advice I always give for time trials – Don't think about laps. Execute each corner to the best of your ability until you see a checkered flag.

The panning effect on your camera is cool but I find it makes it more difficult to judge what the car is doing in relation to your steering input.
Thanks appreciate the advice! I'll certainly remember it for the next one.

I hate the panning effect - I think it's something the gopro does because of the video stabilization. I'll try to disable it for the next event. Going to try and get the camera lower next time too. The mirror blocks a lot at that angle, but it's as low as I could get it with the gear I brought to the track.
Brandon Ganem
#005 Mazda RX8