Newbie Question: How many HPDE classes do you need?

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: blindsidefive0, Boondocker850

Fezti
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Newbie Question: How many HPDE classes do you need?

Post by Fezti » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Simple question, sorry if it's already been answered: I know you guys run HPDE classes prior to events for the new guys, how many of those do you need before it's not required anymore?

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newbie Question: How many HPDE classes do you need?

Post by TroyV » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:13 pm

The quick answer is "it depends".

The classroom sessions are required until the Chief Instructor issues a TT competition license based on the recommendation (or multiple recommendations) of the instructor/s who have been working with the individual. Everyone learns at a different pace. Some folks might take very little time to be squared away such that they would get recommended for a license by our instructors. Some folks can take quite a bit longer to get to that point. Some may end up being career students for a time until they have a break through of some kind. It all depends on the student.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:58 pm

If your question relates at all to wanting to participate on day 2 of our events (practice/TT) we have a “safe to solo” category that applies to the specific event only.
When I started I only did 1-2 events a year and was a student for some time, but I was always “safe to drive solo” on day 2 with the club. It’s up to your instructor and depends how your day 1 goes.
I always encourage new members to register for both days as a student and let your instructor know you want to work towards driving on day 2.

Side note: I never understood why so many seem anxious to be licensed. The instruction is the best part of the club and as a competition licensed driver now it was missed; the club started the advanced coaching program for us which is great. - Paul G.
Paul G.