Miata front subframe reinforcement

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: blindsidefive0, Boondocker850

jeffw

Miata front subframe reinforcement

Post by jeffw »

The area where the lower control arm mount is welded to the subframe is a weak spot, and more and more subframes are cracking in this area. I believe John and Nate's car cracked there at Pocono, and Julie's car developed a crack there that we caught during regular maintenance. Team Miskoe's Miata had to retire from the last enduro at VIR due to the subframe cracking.

The Miatas we are driving could be up to 28 years old at this point, and a broken subframe is both a safety issue as well as a financial issue. A used subframe is usually over $300 and new is $400+shipping.

In response to this problem, Mazda has produced a pair of subframe reinforcements that are made from 12 gauge laser cut steel and are designed to be welded into place to help alleviate stress cracking at the factory weld on the subframe caused in the harsh racing environment.

The braces weld into place in between the lower control arm mount and the main body of the subframe and have a large dimple die hole in the center of them to help give them strength and also serve as an inspection hole for tech to be able to see the original OEM subframe welds.

These parts are accepted on Spec Miatas in both SCCA and NASA. I would like to request that this be a 0-point modification as there is not a performance gain from this part.

There is a thread on Mazdaracers (the home of the Spec Miata class) at http://mazdaracers.com/topic/6308-subfr ... -scca-nasa with quite a bit more info and comments on the issue.

I would appreciate your feedback on this, and please let me know if you have any questions about this issue.

Cracked Subframe Photos

Uninstalled Part

Installed Part
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar
Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Miata front subframe reinforcement

Post by Bobc »

I would be good with 0 points for that it appears it could be a huge safety issue, there is not much left holding the lower a arm on with all the cracks shown in the pictures.
Bob
WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM »

I bought a set of these for my '95 street car. I can bring them to NHMS or to a BoD meeting, if it helps. They are tiny. Tiny!
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:
StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa »

I agree that re-enforcing sub-frames is a safety issue. For that matter this should NOT be exclusively for Miatas.
If a ruling is going to be passed for having 0 points in re-enforced sub-frames than it should apply for ALL cars, period.

So I propose this be extended to all vehicles in the interest of safety.
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)
offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 »

I'm good with that as 0 points.
-Scott
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6
n1gzd
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by n1gzd »

I agree that this should be zero points. It does not change performance but makes the car safer
Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick »

E30's have a similar issue. Not sure if this was the intention, but as Stefan mentioned prehaps the rule should be generic (and apply to front and rear) rather than Miata front subframe specific.
Dtangard
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dtangard »

Hi Mick,

I agree. This post was from 2017. The rule passed and it was generic for all cars.
Derek
#01 T40
1995 Miata
peejay
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by peejay »

I picked up a pair of these. Now, who has a lift and a welder and wants to host a Miata subframe reinforcement day? :D
PJ A
1996 Miata
T30 91
dtlemoine
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dtlemoine »

Folks - quick PSA... This rule proposal was from 2017. The proposal PASSED last year as follows:

Non-Factory Trim bracing or stitch welding, including strut/shock tower brace, and chassis braces (e.g. X-brace or cross-bar)
(0 point assessment)

Weld away those reinforcements!
Dave

E36 328is | SD #14