My PHD RX8 Build (Because it will take me 8 years)

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

My PHD RX8 Build (Because it will take me 8 years)

Post by TunaNoCrust » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:22 am

Going to store some notes here....
- 50 Degree Timing Gear VTC RSX Type S
- New Chain Tensioner - Wait for race engine build
- Tractuff Water Bypass - Fabricate plate
- Dowel Pins 9070-PW5-000
- Honda Element Engine Harness & Charge Harness
- Honda Element Denso O2 Sensor
- No Idle Air Control Valve = Throttle @ 1-2% open while warm
- TPS & Map Plugs look the same = No Start Condition

Valve cover 7.8 lb-ft
Camshaft caps 16 lb-ft
Intake cam gear 83 lb-ft
Exhaust cam gear 51 lb-ft
Intake manifold 16 lb-ft
Exhaust manifold 33 lb-ft
Timing chain case 8.7 lb-ft
Crank pulley 181 lb-ft
Windage tray 8.7 lb-ft
Oil pump 8x1.25 16 lb-ft
Oil pump 6x1.00 8.7 lb-ft
Oil pan 8.7 lb-ft
Flywheel 90 lb-ft
Pressure plate 20 lb-ft

Picked this up a few years ago...2005 RX8 with no motor or transmission.

Decided on a NA K24 and an S2000 5 Speed. Modified the crossmember and firewall. Firewall will get doghoused like a van as I do not like making vehicles obnoxious to work on...plus more room to get the coolant hose around it.

K24 will be pro-built most likely ~340hp, 9000rpm capable. Vehicle weight goal 2500 lbs, once major testing is done, probably change out some body components for carbon fiber ones.

Miata manual steering rack (yes I am aware of the larger turning radius) but its cheap and light! Started stitch welding certain areas, plugging the firewall holes I won't use, and have some key areas to reinforce as well.

Super awesome custom transmission mount using the same E36? bushings as I did on the motor...always use the same durometer bushings on both.

Custom motor mounts JDM Acura Motor -> BMW Bushings -> Toyota 2JZE? Motor Mounts -> RX8

Fuel cell that I may cut the floor out and drop it lower...depends on the exhaust I guess.

Removing sound deadening and seat mounts

Something like that

Found a cheap mock up seat that has nearly the same dimensions and mounts as my future seat(s). Going to add a couple braces to the outer mounts.

Mocking up steering height and such, good compromise of visibility and safety. Got the bars tucked in descent...oh yeah its going to get a major cage...door bars last.

Cross bracing is key, as are proper nodes, and load dispersion...oh and not going to floor pans...floor pans are dumb. This is attached directly over a major crossmember and the side "frame" rails. Double plates distribute the load even more, and the support tubes I will add in the open space of the plates will further transfer that load.

Floor pans are some of the thinnest material in a unibody, they are poorly attached as they are not meant to serve as a true structural support (even though everything in a unibody technically is), also the floor pans are the last component in the structure...they have no where else to transfer the load to. The crossmembers I attached to has three major components that the forces can be distributed over...much more effective. PS, I have tested my cages with my life about 17 times...dont go to floor pans.

Going to add double door bars, and a bar the goes from A pillar to firewall area to protect my legs and for structural stiffness. May bulkhead it to the firewall and connect that to the strut tower.
Last edited by TunaNoCrust on Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: My PHD RX8 Build (Because it will take me 8 years)

Post by gcranston » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:42 pm

Cool project. Hope we don't have to wait 8 years to see it on track!
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:19 am

One helluva project! You should treat that flag with a little more respect...
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Wow, very cool! These RX8s are getting so cheap now it tempting to do something like this. I always thought they were cool cars.
Please keep updating this with progress photos.

Paul G.
Paul G.

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Thanks fellas

Bought a kit to eliminate power steering pump, and AC, which is supposed to look like this...

...Ran into an issue with the water pump fitment as it hit the motor mount and yeah I could notch it, but this may be an opportunity to run an electric unit? Maybe, I will build my own electric pump kit with blackjack and hookers.

Darn another interference. EDIT: KMIATA is going to send the AN-16 fitting that way I can do a 90 or 45 AN fitting and not have to trim anything else. Plus it will match the fitting on the new thermostat housing.

I believe this is the factory return line which I plan to reuse, so quick connect to my Mallory regulator under the hood, then have to run a feed between the filter-pump-filter to the motor. Getting to the other end requires dropping the subframe which I really have to do anyways at some point.
Last edited by TunaNoCrust on Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Found a better solution...swivel thermostat housing...way more clearance than the plastic housing, plus its not plastic, I can swivel the housing to a much more favorable coolant hose routing, easily eliminate heater core lines, and it comes with a temperature sensor and thermostat.

Coolant line that ran through intake or throttle body, well now its plugged with weld.

Belt doesn't fit, but I believe my K24 has a larger crank pulley. Going to trim the extra part of the bracket above the alternator.

Did some trimming to the motor mount and the thermostat housing still hit...now should have plenty of room
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:42 pm

My ultra cheap ABS bypass...will probably need to replace the lines from the master with shorter ones to incorporate the rear brake bias adjuster.

Mockup all the lines with what I have laying around, then probably get some swedged AN hoses. Fuel pump and filters will mount under the fuel cell in the back of the spare tire tub.

Reusing a previous project's fuel system.

Swivel thermostat housing is in, not gasketed as everything will come apart again anyways.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:16 pm

Was hoping to get a lot more done this weekend, but belt didn't fit, pump mounts didn't fit, and NAPA ran out of welding tanks to swap.

Front will come out once finish welded while its still bolted together

Jacked up with bolts removed

Going to clean up, check for cracks, remove extra brackets, and paint.

Subframe to be disassembled...all control arms replaced with fancy ones, new brakes, new cvs, new wheel bearings, and probably rebuild the diff?

Subframe gone, I love Subframes.

Much better

Heat Shield, Emissions Junk all from under the car

Passenger side sound insulation all removed...can't wait to weigh it to see how much it was.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:42 pm

50 Degree Variable Timing Gear from a K20....improvement on Mid-range power and its part of the upgrades for the KMiata tuned ECU. Get all that installed to work out the bugs on a stock used motor, before putting built motor in.

Bought a new impact to try to get the crank bolt out...it failed.

Bought a special socket made for this crank bolt...it failed.

Resorted to making my own crank bolt removal tool

Roll cage breaker bar extensions....it worked.

50 Degree cam gear installed and timed. Also cleaned the gasket surface up.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am

Was going to work on it more Sunday afternoon, but Mtn Bike ride turned into almost 14 miles and after I wasn't feeling like working in the garage :lol:

Just ordered torque wrench for the crank bolt since 181 ft lbs is over what my 3/8 will do, plus a 1/4 torque wrench since 8.7 ft lbs is less than what my 3/8 will do :lol: Plus have some Honda flange gasket maker and a new Oil Solenoid on the way as well.

Got a sandblaster at the swap meet, a little tlc and itll be ready to roll.

Scored two radiators at the swap meet.

Super special crank bolt tool
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:48 pm

Did a ton of tack welds on the seams that I can get to, no way am I dealing with the automotive seam sealant ever again...its just not worth it.

All the tubes, floor plates, and such are fully welded! Have one tiny section on the driver side A-Pillar that I can only reach when the windshield gets removed...which I cracked it a while back anyways.

All new gaskets, new Oil Control Solenoid, everything torque down, etc.

Made a Belt tensioner/alternator mount. Apparently the Japanese K24 has a vastly different alternator configuration, hence why my kit from Kmiata did not fit.

Double X-Brace...in the future I will fully weld sections at a time because getting in between the Xs to weld the B-Pillar nodes was a challenge.

Bottom tube to distribute the base of the A-Pillar a little. The top tube to continue from the crossbrace node through the firewall onto the front fender. Plate on the fender, brace from there to the shock tower.

Want to add a lot of braces (That aren't made of duct tape) to the A-Pillar area.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Hardline after hardline (any Rage Against the Machine Fans?) Just put the fuel lines in a general area...motor->fuel rail->regulator will dictate where they actually end up. Plus they are ran all the way back in the factory locations in the factory mounts...with some additional isolation. Will flush the fuel system...pre to post filters is all clean, so basically turn the pump on let the fuel flush post filter->on and then connect regulator and rail (Which I have). Pre-filter can be changed without having to taking anything out too and since the fuel cell foam usually has some residual particles, its a smart thing to do.

Pressure, Return, and breather hose connected...need to add my special roll valve to it.

Feed line done

My braces showed up, great fitment.

Mounted the sandblaster...sand and new nozzle were supposed to be here today...way to go FedEx. Plexiglass will be here this weekend.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Since I am bored at work and not making much progress on the newest project, here are some pictures of my previous life...

#3 that I made...made the chassis, suspension, built the motor, transmission, axles

I think this was first run out

Only one to ever make this ledge

One of my comps

Crack obstacle on CV trail at Rausch Creek in PA.

I did a back flip here, not purposely. Only two people in the world have made it...one of them is my friend standing at the top.

This is about where I knew I was going for a ride

Going for a barrel roll

Only 1 of 2 people to even try this obstacle...I flip every time I tried

Shattered my transfer case on this rock.

More comp pics

I did this a lot
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:51 pm

This is where I broke the new buggy. At a kill the hill event, and at about the 5th or 6th 6000rpm neutral drop in I caught a bit of traction, jumped over some boulders, and my front lower drivers side control arm caught a rock and basically shattered....it was 2x2 1/4" square tubing haha.

Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

beatus
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by beatus » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:02 am

Some impressive fab work! Nice rage reference 8)
Brandon Ganem
#005 Mazda RX8