Sept outting at Watkins Glen

Any and all discussions concerning events.
bossdog
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Sept outting at Watkins Glen

Post by bossdog » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:09 pm

I was looking for a HPDE at Watkins Glenn and spotted this outting. As I look closer, it looks more like a driving instruction day 1 and track time day 2. Can anyone provide detailes as to what will transpire at this event?

Also, I can't seem to find the cost of this 2 day event.

Third, the description says day 2 is time trials. Very few car insurance policies cover tack events of any kind. The few that do specifically state timed events are not covered. Additionally, Both track insurance companies I have used also specifically state they do NOT cover timed events.
Can anyone speak to this issue?

SEISAN
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Sept outting at Watkins Glen

Post by SEISAN » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 am

Hi BD,

I will give you a brief of what will happen.

1st day - School

If you sign up as a student you will be assigned an instructor from the club - You will have 2 track sessions in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. You will also be required to attend the classroom sessions during the day.

2nd day - You will be with your instructor for 2 track sessions in the morning. If you are qualified by you instructor to solo you can participate in the time trials in the afternoon. If you do not have any previous track experience you probably will not be signed off to solo.

Registration is not open at this time - Watch our registration site for date and time to sign up. The cost is about $425 to $475 for both days. You can also just sign up for one day if you prefer. Also, I think there still is a discount for first timers that saves you $100 off you first event with the club. You have to join the club to be a member. Yearly dues is $35.

As far as insurance, I have HPDE but as stated, they do not cover time trials. Single events are high, purchasing multiple events bring the cost down.

Hope this gives you a breakdown.

Keep watching the forum and you will get other responses.

Hope to see you there, It is my favorite track.

BB

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dinoracer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:31 pm

Bob's got the basics for you

You might also go to our Main Web page, and click on the "Getting Started" tab
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

91rs13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by 91rs13 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:53 pm

bossdog wrote:
Third, the description says day 2 is time trials. Very few car insurance policies cover tack events of any kind. The few that do specifically state timed events are not covered. Additionally, Both track insurance companies I have used also specifically state they do NOT cover timed events.
Can anyone speak to this issue?
Hartland Insurance offers policies to cover you while Time Trialing.

Contact Rick Riehl -- 248-375-4225 or RRiehl AT hartlandinsurancegroup.com
http://hartlandinsurancegroup.com

Or he has a micro site at http://insurewise.wordpress.com

Feel free to tell him DJ sent ya -- maybe I will get a discount at renewal time ;-)
DJ

# 381 T60 BMW 318
2011 Ram 1500
1972 Datsun 510
350Z Nismo--It died a miserable death........

bossdog
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by bossdog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:25 pm

SEISAN wrote:Hi BD,

I will give you a brief of what will happen.

1st day - School

If you sign up as a student you will be assigned an instructor from the club - You will have 2 track sessions in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. You will also be required to attend the classroom sessions during the day.

2nd day - You will be with your instructor for 2 track sessions in the morning. If you are qualified by you instructor to solo you can participate in the time trials in the afternoon. If you do not have any previous track experience you probably will not be signed off to solo.

Registration is not open at this time - Watch our registration site for date and time to sign up. The cost is about $425 to $475 for both days. You can also just sign up for one day if you prefer. Also, I think there still is a discount for first timers that saves you $100 off you first event with the club. You have to join the club to be a member. Yearly dues is $35.

BB
How Long is each session?
How Many participants are on the track during any given session? (on average)
Are the participants divided into experience levels when on track?
If you are not signed off for Solo, is there no opportunity to participate in track time the afternoon of the 2nd day?
If you are signed off for Solo, must you use the 2nd afternoon track time for time trials or can we just use our time for "open track sessions"?

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:27 pm

bossdog
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by bossdog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Yes, thank you, I have completed a mentoring form.

FredK
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by FredK » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:27 am

bossdog wrote: How Long is each session?
How Many participants are on the track during any given session? (on average)
Are the participants divided into experience levels when on track?
If you are not signed off for Solo, is there no opportunity to participate in track time the afternoon of the 2nd day?
If you are signed off for Solo, must you use the 2nd afternoon track time for time trials or can we just use our time for "open track sessions"?
Usually each session is around 22 minutes long or so.

Participants are usually divided into the following run groups:
0: Instructors
1: Licensed drivers of more powerful cars
2: Licensed drivers of less powerful cars
3: Experienced students
4: Beginning students

If you are signed off for solo and don't want to participate in the time trial, you may not use the "Time Trial Event" for open track. The TT has small groups (3-4) of cars that are given free reign of the track to lay down three full timed laps. This usually takes 2-3 hours. It is dependent upon the number of cars, the track, and the weather.

Once the TT event is over, the remaining time is usually designated as "open track".

I've only been to WGI once, and I don't quite remember how many people participated. It is an awesome track. I don't remember there being much traffic when I was there. Things get spaced out pretty well on a large track. I drive slowly so I'm usually giving a lot of point-bys, and I don't remember thinking, "wow, I'm holding up a ton of cars!" :)
-Fred
1991 BMW 318is
SB #242

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:34 am

bossdog wrote:
Yes, thank you, I have completed a mentoring form.
If you are Chris with the STi, a mentor has been assigned.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"