Just a heads up to C5 Corvette owners...

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Foosh442
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Just a heads up to C5 Corvette owners...

Post by Foosh442 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:24 am

On Friday during lap 1 of my time trial as I headed towards turn 9 my RF tire locked up all on its own...it definitely caught me by surprise. It turns out that the water pump pulley snapped off and snagged the ABS harness which caused the RF tire to lock up. It looks like a fatigue break on the pulley, and this car has a lot of track miles on it. Just wanted to let the other C5 guys know about this, inspect or replace your water pump pulley if you track your car a lot 8)

This is a picture of the skid marks, you can see that the RF locked up well before the braking zone...NOT what you want when you're driving 10/10nths trying to beat last years time :shock:
Attachments
Z06 Skid (Mobile).png
Z06 Skid (Mobile).png (173.43 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
Mike Fuchswanz
'01 Corvette Z06 #442 SA/SB
'02 Corvette Z06 T100/SB (shared ride)

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Just a heads up to C5 Corvette owners...

Post by Bobc » Mon May 12, 2014 7:54 am

Foosh had a good idea to post this!! I should have posted this issue sooner if I had thought of it..... The front knuckes or "spindles" in all C5's and early C6 's have an issue also the brake caliper mounting ears can and do fail " mine were bent bad from use" the factory ZR1 knuckle is a direct replacement that has a bunch more material in the mount area and is made from a much better material.. I would make the switch if you run hard or use aftermarket brakes.
the parts are less than $140 aside. P/n are 88965637 and 88965638

Bob Cairns