New member + looking forward NHMS

Any and all discussions concerning events.
cemaykan
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

New member + looking forward NHMS

Post by cemaykan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi Guru's,

I had heard abour Com SSC from friends i run autox with @ Devans... i registered for my first track day with
my lotus elise for the day #1 student and looking forward to learn a lot :) This is the first time i am tracking
my baby,... =)

I had run in NHMS before this summer, on a 1993 Fox 24 hours of Lemons race... had ~4 hours of seat time
in crappy/smelly and slow cars, and it was a blast...! It also rained on my stint #2...which was a eye opener
experience!

I had a few questions if anybody can enlighten me:
1- With the lotus elise... since its a targe, its ok to come with the soft top instead of the top top, correct?
2- Also,, what time should i arrive Saturday morning at the gates?
3- I wasn't able to pick a number... can i pick one up there, and i guess we need to tape the headlights etc?

Anything else i should bring, know about,, tips & tricks?

Thanks guys,
-Cem

Chrispy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: New member + looking forward NHMS

Post by Chrispy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:03 pm

Greatings Cem,

I'm also a Deven's graduate, this was my first year with COM and it was a lot of fun.

Regarding your questions:
- If you run without the hardtop you are considered an open car per the rules. Your stock role protection is likely adequate but it also means using arm restraints. You will have to ask one of the tech experts as to whether the Lotus soft top qualifies or not, tonneau covers aren't allowed and yours is detachable so it might get defined as such.

- Gates open at 7am, usually best to get there right on time or a couple of minutes early for your first day. You will have to visit both the first COM registration window on the left, and the track registration window on the right (either order). If you rented a garage you will have to visit the 2nd window as well to find out your garage bay number.

- A COM number will be assigned to you, you will get this number about a 1 week in advance in your email confirmation. Shortly after (the following couple of days) you will also receive your instructor pairing. This is your opportunity to tell your instructor about your level of experience with both the track and the car, and what you are hoping to achieve from the day or weekend.

- Listen closely to your instructor, he will most likely be feeding you a lot of information via the headset so it can be a lot to take in at once. If there was anything that you didn't understand while on track use the quieter pit setting to ask questions. The classroom is also a good place for questions.

- Bring whatever your car needs (oil, fluids etc) and plenty of water for yourself. If you are good to stick around for a while after the event then sign up for the famous Bob Brooks Shake&Bake BBQ.

As a Deven's regular you will likely take to it quite naturally and have a lot of fun like I did.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Parsons
#22 - 95 Miata

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Welcome. Be sure to check out the home page here: http://www.comscc.org/getting-started/

Might want to sign up for this too: http://www.comscc.org/getting-started/mentoring/
Paul G.

Chrispy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Chrispy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:14 pm

Oh and regarding taping your headlights, that is required if they are glass, if they are plastic then it is not required.
Chris Parsons
#22 - 95 Miata

nateh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by nateh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:26 pm

The Elise has adequate roll-over protection - unlike many Targas.

See you at the track!
Nate Hine
1985 driversupply Frankenspec
1995 Spec Miata #47(1) white-blue

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by McMahonRacing » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:33 am

Not real good w/ those non-V-8 thingy's ...... but, is there a need to have an upgraded rear suspension arm / bolt ... ie: Dan D'Arcy's Lotus ?? ... just a curious FYI .... Pat

cemaykan
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by cemaykan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:44 am

Thanks guys this was very usefull information...looking forward to meeting you guys in person...

Thanks,
-Cem

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:15 am

Welcome Cem;

Your best to run the hardtop if you have one, you won't need arm restraints and it will be easier to communicate with your instructor. Do you have the sport package or are you running "R" compound tires ? If so I hope you have a toe link brace. I didn't have one the first time I used my Elise and the toe link broke and sent me into the wall. Not fun :( If you have any questions about using the Elise or COM in general, you can call me at 413-575-8577. I look forward to seeing you at the track. :D
#310 Lotus Elise, Lotus Exige S, Chevron B64 and of course the Mustang Cobra
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

cemaykan
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by cemaykan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks Dan...its great to have somebody with lotus experience... yes i had heard horror stories about the toe link
failure, and because of that just had it installed 2 weeks ago... when i decided to track the car...

My car was the non-sport pack,, and it had the ad07 front 175(bycle tires) and rears 225... so i also
changed to a048 195fronts 225rears... i also had installed the bwr autox sway bar to deal with the scary snap-steer...
which happened to me a couple times during autox...i had no idea where i was when i stopped spinning! :) lol

so if with soft top,, arm restraints is mandatory.. ill install the hardtop (if i can find the screws grrr..! :) )
but if it is not mandatory,, it would have been great to have no top on and hear the wind :)

btw i also have the stage ii exhaust, which last recorded 97db at autox,, so since NHMS is 99db i think i should
be fine...and if needed i can lift a bit, since i am learnign and a student, i dont really care about lap times...

Thanks again for all the great info guys... seems to be great community here :) see you guys soon... :)

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:02 pm

cemaykan wrote: so if with soft top,, arm restraints is mandatory.. ill install the hardtop (if i can find the screws grrr..! :) )
but if it is not mandatory,, it would have been great to have no top on and hear the wind :)
I use to think that as well with my Miata. I drove it top down once, getting hit with rubber pieces, and having a hard time hearing my instructor, plus the sun on you can be very hot and glare off the dash can get distracting especially if you are new. I always run with the hard top on now, it is much better and feels much safer to me.

If you can find the hardtop bolts, I highly recommend it. The track is just alot different than autox, and you communicate alot more with your instructor while on track. - Looking forward to seeing the car. Sounds like you are on the correct path for prepping it.

I'm no Elise expert, but what are you doing for brake pads / fluids? NHMS is pretty hard on brakes, even for light cars. - Paul G.
Paul G.

cemaykan
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by cemaykan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Good point Paul...! i had totally forgot to change the pads and fluid to something better then the stock...

I am definetly going to try to get the hard top on, if i can't find it ill get a arm restraints, no idea how those are, and heard they are annoying...but will find out if needed :)

Thx again guys... hopefully it doesn't rain! fingers crossed

cemaykan
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by cemaykan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks guys! this was a great first event... i had a great time :)

It was my first time tracking my car, and definetly learned a lot thanks to my instructor Dan..!
Great info + direction... definetly allowed me to work on multiple things i was doing wrong
looking forward to working with Dan again..!

The track was really challengin,, i still find that wall on turn 1 staring back at me :P

Wish i could stay for the time challenge,, but hopefully next time!
have fun guys and hopefully looking forward to seeing you guys next year...!

Oh btw, Video of 1 lap from my perspective:

Still learning the track/line, so feedback welcome...
there wasnt many cleanlaps i could do, to much traffic...! lol

BoostedE36
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by BoostedE36 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:03 am

I was totaly parked next to you. And dam your car is quick! Pleasure to run the track with you all!