Tire Storage

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
imgon
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Tire Storage

Post by imgon » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:26 pm

Where do you store your tires when they are not on the car? My indoor storage area is quickly filling up and I am thinking of storing the tires in a shed. I'm curious if the extreme cold conditions will have any negative impact on the tires. I have one set of R-compounds and one set of Azenis auto-X tires. Regular tires are subjected to these extreme swings in temp without serious harm. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Chuck

'87 Mazda RX7
T-50

ChrisS
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Re: Tire Storage

Post by ChrisS » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:26 pm

Cool and dark is good with no air if mounted. Store them in trash bags to slow the compound cure. You can soak a rag in tire softening compound like Formula V and put it in the bag as well. Freezing is ok as long as you don't roll the car around on them when they are that cold.
'71 MG Midget, ST7, SPC, PC, ah hell it's the slow white one leaking oil...
I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem.

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:14 am

ChrisS wrote:Freezing is ok as long as you don't roll the car around on them when they are that cold.
Hoosier specifically says do NOT expose R-compounds to freezing temperatures: http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm. Kumho has a similar recommendation to keep R-comps from freezing. From my own experience, I have seen R-comps that were exposed to outside winter temperatures (not out in the sun) that turned to rocks. Age had something to do with that too, but the cold exacerbated it.

Personally, I bring all my all my R-compounds inside my cellar for the winter. It's cool down there, but well above freezing.
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

John F
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by John F » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:47 pm

My Kuhmos are stacked in the basement and I'm going down now and let the air out of them and cover with a trash bag. Thanks Chris
John F
#167 SA FFR roadster

imgon
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by imgon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks,
They'll be staying in the cellar and something else will get the boot. Thanks Chris for the tip about wrapping them up, I'll try that as well.
Chuck

'87 Mazda RX7
T-50

Mario Fallas
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Mario Fallas » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:18 pm

if that's the case my V710 are gone! :(
how did the tranie surgery worked for you Chuck? :wink:
M