Lemons @ NHMS this weekend

Any and all discussions concerning events.
savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Lemons @ NHMS this weekend

Post by savage217 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Ours were 2 passing under yellows and 1 contact (which the driver said did not happen) None resulted in any real time penalties.
Nick DeRosa #305

cfossum
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cfossum » Tue May 08, 2012 5:49 pm

On day 1, I had a spin which cost no real time, and then a passing under yellow which prompted an unplanned, judge-enforced driver change. In total, it cost us about 15 minutes due to a long line at the penalty box before we were even able to have a discussion with the judges. We started Day two in P7, nine laps down from the leader. We were fast enough to catch them if we could run clean. On day 2 it was another passing under yellow for me. Unfortunately, it was our third pass under yellow of the day so we had to do a stunt, which was a three-person, four-legged race to the snack bar to buy lunch for the judges. After that, we were out of the hunt so we relaxed and just took our time in the paddock before we went back out again.
Of course, all the passing-under-yellow calls were bogus in our opinion.
When we did finally go out, the car overheated. Twice. So we finished the race slow.
The RX7 is incredibly quick, although we simply do not seem to be able to contain our enthusiasm enough to avoid penalties.
Anyhow, the engine is consuming coolant now, so its time for a rebuild. We hope to make the October Lemons event.
-Carl
Last edited by cfossum on Thu May 10, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu May 10, 2012 10:58 am

I went to Summit and couldn't make this race, but my team did, and by all accounts, sounds like everyone had a great time! I bet they even enjoyed the 4-legged race. :)

As for winning, this is lemons. Winning = having the car on-track more than off, everyone getting some good seat time, and above all, having a great time with your team and everyone else. From all of the posts here, sounds like everyone won (well, except maybe Haydn's team :( ).

That said, I followed the race on my phone with an app called "Race Monitor". $5 gets you live timing & scoring and in-app race notices (pop-up text messages). At Lemons races, they send out a race notice for every flag. My phone was dinging all day long with black flag notices, including some like "Car # XX Black flag for passing under yellow", "Cars # XXX, YYY, ZZZ, QQQ, black flag for contact", and favorites like "Car # XXX MUST PIT NOW !". Another $5 in-app upgrade, allows you to view the most recent 100 or so lap times for every car.

The app is used by a variety of organizations, some in the US, some outside, some cars, bikes, karts. I've seen SCCA & NASA events listed.

I don't buy many apps, but this one has been worth it. I've used it as a competitor as well as a spectator.
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

PaddyMcP
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by PaddyMcP » Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 am

The app really is amazing. Very well done with the updates and interface.

Ran on Carl's team this weekend. Had a blast as usual. Car was fast as hell and weather was perfect all weekend. Couldn't ask for more.
-Paddy

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Thu May 10, 2012 11:20 am

WillM wrote:As for winning, this is lemons. Winning = having the car on-track more than off, everyone getting some good seat time, and above all, having a great time with your team and everyone else.
Exactly right! And, as icing on the cake, if you're lucky there's a good chance at some really fun racing. I had an epic 15-minute battle with the Boxy Volvo 740 on Saturday. I was slightly faster overall, but he was faster on the straight, and we kept following each other nose-to-tail and passing each other lap after lap after lap. He'd catch me on the straight, then I'd get him going up the hill out of Turn 3. Eventually I lost him in traffic. Great stuff, and we had fun reliving it afterwards.
That said, I followed the race on my phone with an app called "Race Monitor".
Yeah, LOTS of people at the race were following the live results with that, including four of the five people on our team. It's well worth the $5 for the basic version. Our one driver who paid the extra $5 for the extended version (which is only available for iPhone, not Android), said it wasn't worth it, though. It doesn't save the lap times after the race is over, and it would frequently reset itself during the race, losing all the lap times up to that point.
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

savage217
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by savage217 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:08 pm

I purchased the app after Will mentioned it to me at the test day. Boy am I glad I did. It helped us a lot with our strategy and it was awesome being able to see where we were the entire race. we had radios working in the car so we could radio in updates to the driver which was useful. A lot of the fans that came to watch us race ended up downloading it because they were wondering how i was keeping track and they all thought it was awesome toop It is the best app I have by far. well worth the 5 bucks. Thanks for letting me know Will!
Nick DeRosa #305