How many hours of track time do you guys have?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Bane of Tires

Post by Bane of Tires » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:47 pm

enjoythemusic wrote: Amen, there is no substitute for seat time. Always get a chuckle at guys on the public roadways who tell me they can drive because the Xbox/PS2/etc proves their ability LOL
Hey, it's a good start. :P I just need a good place to mount my wheel...

enjoythemusic wrote:
Oooh, that sounds like a challenge :)

(Said in good, friendly humor) So, are you feeling lucky, punk? Well, are you?

Ok, seriously, same here as the suspension parts on the car here is based on decades-old bits/technology [original design of car is 30 years old(!)]. Not saying newer is always better, yet agree a nice 'refreshing' of the suspension can be a very good thing. If you are at the early April COM NHIS event i'd be more than happy to show you what happens when you open wallet R-E-A-L wide as there are virtually no true 'off the shelf' parts per se for the car here.
Yes, very lucky. The old girl turns and sticks much better with the new springs and dampers. :D What car will you be driving?
enjoythemusic wrote:
On this i agree, and also disagree to a point. My well-seasoned track rat friends say a street car is for the street and a track car is for the track and the two never really mix.

Worse still if you drive the track car on the streets a lot with all these frost heaves, pot holes, etc. While it is great to improve the car, there is a point where a street car has limitations to be an acceptable road car grocery-getter while a pure track car has no such limitations.

Of course one could always be wrong and judging from the winter tweaks and refresh you could question my sanity in general :)

FYI: will probably buy a nice open wheel spec SCCA racer at the end of this season. At some point the street car here just gets too damn costly to maintain for the track :(
I got a taste of "too modified" with the new suspension. The installer SLAMMED the car, despite my asking for ground clearance. I was scraping my exhaust on pebbles, for crying out loud. I'm glad I didn't take him at his word, because it turns out the car could sit much higher! After raising it about an inch, it's much better.

Actually, the poly engine mount inserts have had the biggest effect on driveability. My whole car hums (more than before) at highway speeds. Fortunately I don't go on a lot of long trips.

turtlevette
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by turtlevette » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:11 pm

enjoythemusic wrote:Ok, seriously, same here as the suspension parts on the car here is based on decades-old bits/technology [original design of car is 30 years old(!)]. :(
If your talking about my car....the original chassis was designed in 1963 so we're talking 43 year old technology. Do we have an antique class??? :lol:

I'm still having a lot of fun with it. The heart really pumps in a car as unforgivable as this one is and i don't have a computer to save my butt if i make a mistake. This car doesn't push.

I'll mix in a little better as time passes i just don't want to be a PITA holding up much faster guys in run group 1.

So i'm gonna get rid of the 60 series 500 tread wear truck tires and go with some more modern street tires. Flywheel hp on a 75 corvette is 165 so i got about as much hp as a motorcycle at the wheels on a 3500 pound car. :oops: but this is not a drag race so i don't care about that. Them corners is what's fun.

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:41 pm

turtlevette wrote:
enjoythemusic wrote:Ok, seriously, same here as the suspension parts on the car here is based on decades-old bits/technology [original design of car is 30 years old(!)]. :(
Flywheel hp on a 75 corvette is 165 .
I didn't know the emissions/gas crunch hit even the Corvette so bad in the '70s. 165 bhp ? It was a dark time for the Mustang as well.
You got my curiosity up- My first car was a 1976 Camaro straight 6 cyl and it had 105 hp and the hot motor that year was the 350 V8 with 165 hp. We've come a long way.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Hijack

Post by offcamber09 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:44 pm

So as to not be accused of hijacking the thread, I have 7+ years on track at an average of 20 days per year. Still learning something everytime out there.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dinoracer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:41 am

Ok, seriously, same here as the suspension parts on the car here is based on decades-old bits/technology [original design of car is 30 years old(!)].
Come on baby, you want to talk old suspension? :twisted: :lol: I think I've got the oldest active car these days (excepting Mark Wheatley's Triumph, I think). Even the old stuff can be upgraded and improved enough to keep the car fun to drive and at least running with the newer cars....

That said, my Mustang is about max'ed out suspension wise using the mostly stock -style suspension and brakes. Any further upgrades will require bigger mechanical changes and financial investment than the couple of seconds potential gain would be worth...but I'm sure there's a few seconds a lap still in the car as it is right now, it's just all in the nut behind the wheel...

As for experience, I've probably got 20-25 track days, I'm at a point where I'm comfortable going fast, but definetly still learning.
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

timmmy
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Hijack

Post by timmmy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:30 am

offcamber09 wrote:So as to not be accused of hijacking the thread, I have 7+ years on track at an average of 20 days per year. Still learning something everytime out there.
And you still didnt learn to buy a miata ;)

BrakeL8r
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by BrakeL8r » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:50 am

turtlevette wrote:I'll mix in a little better as time passes i just don't want to be a PITA holding up much faster guys in run group 1.
If you feel that your lap times are way off pace compared to the other cars that run in run group 1, don't be afraid to ask the registrar to assign you to run group 2. Just remember there too though that there will be cars with less horsepower but better handling, and that point-bys may still be necessary.

--Michael
ST4 Miata #176 "Corvette killer" :lol:

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:17 pm

[quote="timmmy
And you still didnt learn to buy a miata ;)[/quote]

Damn, I thought you were an Audi guy- which would make you a NMC
(Non Miata Cult) member...I'll have to re-think you're application for membership :lol:
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

Crusin
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Crusin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:24 pm

offcamber09 wrote:I have 7+ years on track at an average of 20 days per year. Still learning something everytime out there.
Yeah, like how little itty bitty Miatae, with 110HP just keep getting faster every year.... :lol:

timmmy
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by timmmy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:47 pm

offcamber09 wrote:[quote="timmmy
And you still didnt learn to buy a miata ;)
Damn, I thought you were an Audi guy- which would make you a NMC
(Non Miata Cult) member...I'll have to re-think you're application for membership :lol:[/quote]

I guess I drank the Cool-Aid :), (both kinds)

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:07 am

Bane of Tires wrote:What car will you be driving?
Umm, it's red and was wired at the factory by a half-blind guy who just grabbed any scrap wire at arms length when building her. Parts are made of Pure Unobtanium by a guy who wears a pointy hat with moons and stars. And you THINK i am joking???

But it is Italian and driving her and the way she feels and sounds... sooo erotic. Naturally my sanity is in question. <Nomex ON> Anyone can buy a Miata ;) <Nomex OFF>

turtlevette wrote:If your talking about my car....the original chassis was designed in 1963 so we're talking 43 year old technology. Do we have an antique class???

I'm still having a lot of fun with it. The heart really pumps in a car as unforgivable as this one is and i don't have a computer to save my butt if i make a mistake. This car doesn't push...
Wow, i'd love to see COM with an 'antique' class! Agree about having fun with these old cars. <Nomex ON> i mean, ANYONE can buy a Miata ;) <Nomex OFF>. Also agree about enjoying the LACK of driver aids (no ABS, no traction control, no rev limiter, etc.) While i have enjoyed driving a very recent car of the same marque as mine, all those driver aids do help, but also seem more like Xbox to me (paddle shifting, adjustable traction control, engine management, add nauseum). Of course those new cars DO pull off impressive lap times and make a driver look impressive, but...
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

PaddyMcP
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by PaddyMcP » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:22 pm

7 events at 4 different tracks. All with COM.

I've got a bunch of autox events under my belt too - but i just don't think they count as legit driving experience anymore. I learned more in one session at NHIS than i ever did in a parking lot full of cones at 30mph.

turtlevette
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by turtlevette » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:55 pm

Ok,

So i almost kissed the wall on the oval Saturday because i was using one hand to give point by to a group of cars and looking in the rear view mirror too much concerned with who was behind me.

I find it unnerving to have to drive with one hand exiting some of these corners. Maybe i could just tape a glove to my back window giving a standing passing signal to whoever wants to go so i can keep two hands on the wheel??? :lol: :?

gread
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by gread » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:37 pm

Don't become too obsessed with making sure everyone got a fair point by. A lot of the group 1 drivers are experienced enough to wait for the right opportunity to pass without compromising your line. Remember it's their job to go around you, not your job to get off-line and allow them by. A couple more events and you'll be comfortable with the other guys on the track near you and what areas are the best to point them by.
The track sure is a lot of fun though isn't it :D

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:22 am

PaddyMcP wrote:7 events at 4 different tracks. All with COM.

I've got a bunch of autox events under my belt too - but i just don't think they count as legit driving experience anymore. I learned more in one session at NHIS than i ever did in a parking lot full of cones at 30mph.
Where parking lots are concerned, I would whole heartedly agree. However, where Fort Devens is concerned I would not. Devens is the autocross exception. With course lengths of 1.8 to 2.1 miles, and speeds reaching 75 or so...(depending on number of cones and placement) it is the closest you can get to open track without actually doing it. I can tell you that years of running there were a big help to me last Saturday. I was feeling very comfortable at speed in the 3rd and 4th sessions in group 3...did a little passing too.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50