What COM folks are building...

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: What COM folks are building...

Post by Dave_G » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:21 pm

paultg wrote:I also think you need equal safety gear for driver and instructor, which I think includes seats (but I could be wrong).
No. The rule applies to belts, but not seats:
Instructors and passengers of Instructors seat belt restraint system during driver schools and practice shall be of
equal or greater restraint capability, as compared to the drivers seat belt restraint system, including type, width, and
number of points. This is to ensure that the Instructor is not subjected to aggressive driving that the driver would be
willing subject himself to, based on the level of driver seat belt restraint.
I did one at least event where my instructor was in a stock seat (with a harness) and I was in a racing seat (with an identical harness). It was within the rules, but it didn't feel right to me. I got a racing seat for myself to be safer. Shouldn't I offer the same courtesy to my passenger? Since then I have added a second racing seat. It's not required by the rules, but IMHO it's the right thing to do.
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

Kai Noeske
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Kai Noeske » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks for clarifying Dave.

No, I don't think it is a good idea to have different seats for student and instructor; however, SCCA showroom stock does not allow to replace the passenger seat. 2010 GCR says:
The driver’s seat (only) shall be replaced with a one-piece buckettype
race seat.
I guess the only solution is to not drive the car 10/10 at HPDEs if there is the occasional ride along buddy or instructor in the passenger seat . Not ideal.
93 Corolla 1.6L 4AFE 3 spd auto, #831 SSC / HS
99 Civic SI, #9 NER SCCA SSC / COM SSB

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:25 pm

I would think throwing in a couple of rails drilledd both for the stock seat and a racing seat, allowing for a fairly quick change, would be the better move, if legal with SCCA.
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Kai Noeske wrote:
Oh, dear. I may have to look this up in the rule book. Thanks for mentioning.

No, I am not licensed yet. Mark signed me off for the last event (my first with COM) but I am still a student.

Upshot, I have 6 pt belts in both seats, but the passenger seat is stock, not a racing seat.

I am not even sure if SCCA SSC will allow me to replace the passenger seat with a racing seat. Probably not. In that case, I will have to wait until I have my SCCA competition license and hope that COM will accept this. *Sigh* I never realized how much of a pain all this would be.
well, I can see how Dave says the rule does not apply to seats, however I am under the impression that a 6-point harness can't be used safely with a stock seat, so it might not pass tech. That's how I interpretted it with my miata, harnsess require racing seats, and as a student I need equal belts, so seats too in a round about way.

Run it by the Com tech inspection folks first. If you already were signed to solo once maybe you only need a few events to get licenced, so might not be an issue.

Paul G.
Paul G.

eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by eastcoastbumps » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:37 am

I'm a little late to the party. Heres what Paddy and I have been building. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

A big thanks to Joe Lu, Tony Le, Jason Carroll, Ted Drotleff, our sister Clare and our parents, Hugh and Mary. We have a lot accomplished, but still more to go.
Pete McParland #617
Honda S2000

timmmy
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by timmmy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:41 am

Nice work on the S2K, that should be a lot of fun :)

Time is running out before our first COMSCC event. I am hoping to have the Audi ready, mostly to avoid all the comments about it never being ready :P , although time is short and so are funds so it may not quite be done. We will see I guess.

Heres a bit of an update though.

This weekend I finished the cage, it is 99.9% done, all that is left to do now is to weld on the window net tabs. The seats and safety gear are all mounted too, sunroof welded in. All that is left to do now is to pull everything out, do a final cleanup, seam seal and the interior is ready for paint. The trunk and underside are also ready for paint. This week / next weekend I am hoping to wrap up final fabrication in the engine bay and have that ready for paint too. I will then paint those 4 areas, after which everything gets bolted on and in. The car then goes to my friend Marks (www.efiexpress.com) to get wired, ECU, fuel system finalized and hopefully fired up and base tuned. From there it goes up to fellow COM guy Jake Parrot's (www.jakesrodshop.com) to get final paint. Finally back to mine for windows and final build up.

Here are some pics.

Haydn Taylor
www.motorsport-ht.com

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 6PAK72 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Your work on the Audi is pure craftsmanship! Beautiful, functional, excellent!
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed

timmmy
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by timmmy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 pm

6PAK72 wrote:Your work on the Audi is pure craftsmanship! Beautiful, functional, excellent!

It is kind of a marketing tool as I in the process of starting a business centered around race car building and parts. Having said that, this is kind of a practice build in preparation for my other Audi, so parts of it are pretty rough IMHO.
Haydn Taylor
www.motorsport-ht.com

cuppatea
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by cuppatea » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:46 pm

a tad slow but i've finally cleaned the rust off an old 2ndhand rollbar and given it a new coat of paint.. (with some help from Kai)... :lol: ... look forward to putting it into the car and then perhaps showing it off on the track soonish :wink:
Attachments
rollbar.jpg
rollbar.jpg (146.98 KiB) Viewed 3629 times

eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by eastcoastbumps » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:53 pm

timmmy wrote:Nice work on the S2K, that should be a lot of fun :)

Time is running out before our first COMSCC event. I am hoping to have the Audi ready, mostly to avoid all the comments about it never being ready :P , although time is short and so are funds so it may not quite be done. We will see I guess.

Thanks! We fired it up for the first time today. We thought everything was a go last night but it didn't happen. It cranked and had spark, but no fuel. All four injectors were clogged. We cleaned them on the bench, reinstalled, then it started right up. We also received the last part we needed to install the dash. So thats going in next as well as the rest of the interior and the hard top.

We're trying to get to the test day next Thursday and its looking good as of right now. You've got way more work than us, but an extra two weeks if you're trying to get to Monticello.

Pete
Pete McParland #617
Honda S2000

Brendan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Brendan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 am

I'm getting close myself. Have the Megasquirt up and running, dyno tune next week. Would've been nice to make the test and tune, but oh well...

- Brendan
#04 SPC
White 1990 E30 M3

eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by eastcoastbumps » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Nice work Brendan! Will you have a chance to drive it on the street before putting it on the dyno or bringing it to Monticello? Are you going to tune it yourself?
Pete McParland #617
Honda S2000

Brendan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Brendan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:59 pm

I probably won't get to drive it - it's not registered right now. I was shooting for a test and tune or Auto-X, but it looks like I'm one week late.

Because of that, I go to DSG next Tuesday for a little professional help :D

- Brendan
#04 SPC
White 1990 E30 M3

eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by eastcoastbumps » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:16 pm

Brendan, your M3 made it into The Car Lounge hot shizz thread.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?i ... 2&page=172
Pete McParland #617
Honda S2000

Brendan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Brendan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:26 pm

That was fast. Alex snapped those pictures while it was in getting tuned at DSG this week... Re-posts below :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grabau/set ... 781897987/

#04 SPC
White 1990 E30 M3